6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 3, 2015 3:20 AM by Malik Haider

Additional Poller Engine help

afisenko

Hello, guys!

I want to be sure, that i need APE for my Orion system. Could someone help me to understand what is it "elements". Is this elements whick are polling? (Like nodes?). Or is that interfaces, volumes, disks, etc.?

• Re: Additional Poller Engine help
          smiffy85

Elements are the modules that you have installed from Solarwinds - NPM, SAM, NTA etc...

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              afisenko

I am sorry. My bad. I mean, I saw in technical documentation of APE some information about elements. If i have more than 10000 elements in my monitoring system ->i need to install additional poller engine.

i have modules such as NPM, SAM, NTA, NCM, VNQM. I have ~ 1000 devices in NPM (~8000 interfaces),  500 in NCM, 100 sources in NTA, 50 (~250 components) applications in SAM, ~1000 telephones and 25 IP SLA operations in VNQM.

In that case do i need to purchase APE? What excatlcy those "elements" is?

smiffy85

We are in a similar boat really, unsure if we need it but have bought it anyway....

I am going to use it to split the polling for different devices so the core will do LAN polling and the APE will do WAN based stuff.

In this instance I think the elements are all the separate things you are monitoring, so as below if you are monitoring it all (8875 elements)

have modules such as NPM, SAM, NTA, NCM, VNQM. I have ~ 1000 devices in NPM (~8000 interfaces),  500 in NCM, 100 sources in NTA, 50 (~250 components) applications in SAM, ~1000 telephones and 25 IP SLA operations in VNQM.

Nothing wrong with splitting the load and offering an alternative poller to aid performance.

vjerez4129

We actually just purchased an ASE because our NPM instance was right at the 10k Elements Like mentioned by everyone else an element is pretty much anything you are monitoring with (in our case) NPM so 1 Node is an element, each of the interfaces under the node IE switch ports, volumes, etc. is an element. So in theory one 48 port switch could be 49 total elements (the switch itself, and 48 ports) of course each node/device you add also has more than just the ports you could monitor so each devices could add a lot to your node count quickly. As aaswi said too, you could check the settings section to see your current amount of elements being polled and they weight of your polling job

aaswi

If you go into the Orion console "Settings" (upper right hand corner of the console), then scroll down to the Details section and click on "Polling Engines".  This will give you your polling engine stats.  Including total number of elements and current polling rate.  If you are over 85% polling rate it is recommended to either reduce your polling internals (longer intervals), reduce element counts such as interfaces, or purchase an Additional Polling Engine.

Elements are everything that Orion monitors.  It can be a node, interface, volume, component, etc.

Malik Haider

Elements = Nodes + Volume + Interfaces

For more details please see the video below .

Licensing for SolarWinds Network Performance Monitor

Licensing for SolarWinds Network Performance Monitor - YouTube