This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Force non-silent install with MSI argument

Is there a way to push a 3rd party .msi installation without the /qn argument, so that it installs normally instead of silent install?  Is there a way to force a non-silent install?

Silent.PNG

Even if I go to "Advanced" and select the "non-silent install" option, it still does a silent install.

Capture.PNG

I'm trying to push WebEx Productivity Tools ptools.msi and I need it to not do the silent install because it will not allow users to change settings after a silent install.

"If WebEx Productivity Tools are installed with silent installation, all options on the Tools tab are disabled and site settings cannot be updated, even after a user switches to a different site."

• IIRC, the .msi was intended to only be run in silent mode and you can add options to the cmd line to enable/disable specific items from the tools tab. The intent would be for a standard deployment across all machines.

I would either A) create multiple package 'templates' with different options enabled and then push those templates to groups of clients or B) try and create a package from scratch. I seem to remember an option there for an attended installer. (Could be wrong)

Good luck!

-ZackM

Loop1 Systems: SolarWinds Training and Professional Services

• There is a whole list of command line options for MSIs.  Command-Line Options (Windows)  This specific .msi for ptools.msi can be run just by double-clicking it and clicking the next buttons.  This will enable you to modify the Tools tab after install.  If it's run with the /qn argument, which Patch Manager puts in there by default, it greys out the whole Tools tab.  The option Capture.PNG seems to have no affect.  If I add /qf in there it fails to install.  /qr and /qb will install, but the string seems to have no affect.

msiexec.exe /qr /i "[path]\ptools.msi" SITEURL="https://website.webex.com" is a valid way to install it and have the Tools options available after, and with the reduced interface, but I cannot seem to replicate this with Patch Manager.

q , qn - No UI

qb - Basic UI. Use qb! to hide the Cancel button.

qr - Reduced UI with no modal dialog box displayed at the end of the installation.

qf - Full UI and any authored FatalError, UserExit, or Exit modal dialog boxes at the end.

• Did you ever manage to resolve this?