4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 1, 2015 3:40 AM by Peter Krutý

Service Now Integration

arjunar

Is anyone integrating Solarwinds with Service Now to provide Network CIs like switches and routers?   @ArjunaRahman

• Re: Service Now Integration
          klinejw

Are you talking about creating CI's in ServiceNow from data in Orion or are you talking about creating incidents?  Neither here nor there, I have done both with three different ticketing systems now including ServiceNow, HP ServiceManager, and CA Service Desk.  All my work has been done outside of Orion with third party tools and developed mostly in asp.net.  I did just see something here on thwack that SolarWinds was looking for feedback on a future integration with ServiceNow.

RichardLetts

No -- our ServiceNow is integrated with our [pre-existing] CMDB to provide the CI. Our organization CMDB is integrated with our finance systems so when we acquire a device and put it into service we can track its asset and depreciate it properly.

I'd be interested in how larger companies using discovery in Solarwinds to track their assets pass a financial audit.

None of the Solarwinds products really provide CMDB functionality -- it does not support enough of the equipment lifecycle to work properly... i.e from acquisition through operation and maintenance, to disposal and history.

Solarwinds doesn't let you track things before they go into service, and really likes you to delete them when they go out of service, so less than 50% of the lifecycle of a piece of equipment.

We use alerts [node down] to create incident records. I would have liked to use ServiceNow event module, but that was a lot of extra $$$, so we're looking at other ways to provide event management

Peter Krutý

No -- our ServiceNow is integrated with our [pre-existing] CMDB to provide the CI. Our organization CMDB is integrated with our finance systems so when we acquire a device and put it into service we can track its asset and depreciate it properly.

I'd be interested in how larger companies using discovery in Solarwinds to track their assets pass a financial audit.

I'd be curious to know which financial system are you integrating with?

What kind of CMDB you are using (the pre-existing one) and how do you integrate it with your financial systems?