This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

SCCM Asset Number Attribute Mapping

Hi All,

Is it possible to add an extra SCCM attribute as a selectable option in the Asset No. mapping field?

whd-assets.png

All of our computer assets have the asset number entered into the description field in their AD account, which SCCM has been configured to include in the AD system discovery method.

• Hmm..  I don't believe that is possible.

One possible option would be to create a new Discovery Connection but instead of choosing the pre-defined SCCM option you could choose the "Database Table or View" option and choose "Microsoft SQL Server" as the sub-option.  You could then look under the Attribute Mappings tab and see if that other field was map-able.    If so, you could use that discovery connection instead of the other.  The downside is that you would need to manually map all the other fields that you wanted to pull over as well (but you could refer back to how the other one was mapped i would suppose).

• To add to what kellytice is saying,

Validate that SCCM is syncing the 'description' attribute first [this assumes SCCM 2012 in my test]... do you see 'description' under the Device Properties? If not, proceed to configure the discovery to pull the information.

Within SCCM:

1. Administration>Overview>Hierarchy Configuration>Discovery Methods>Active Directory System Discovery

2. Active Directory Attributes [Tab]> Check to see if 'description' is an available attribute to add and add it.

3. If not, click Custom... and type description and click OK.

4. Run a manual discovery to sync the AD information.

Within WHD:

1. Create a Discovery Connection with Database Table or View

2. Enter your DB connection information

3. Select the following database name, CM_xxx (where xxx is your SCCM Site Name)

4. After the connection attempts/ succeeds, select the following Table or View, v_R_system

5. Switch over to the Attribute Mapping Tab, select description0 for the Asset No.

example.jpg

For my assets I have several discovery jobs that populate/ update attribute information depending on the source and ignoring other values (Do not overwrite...), including a main SCCM Discovery Configuration with additional DB Table or View. This is to supplement the fact that I don't have additional SCCM attributes I would like to use or query in the default SCCM Discovery Connection.

• Question on your discovery connection.  I've been using WHD for a while now and I've been porting assets in with SCCM for 3 years.  I had initially set the Asset No to the serial number since I didn't have the Asset tag coming from SCCM.  I think now this is a grand idea to have the Asset Tag in the asset information.  I created a custom field and called it Asset Tag.  On the attribute mapping I selected the description0 like you have above.  I checked the boxes "Do not overwrite existing value" for everything but "Asset Tag".  However when I do the sync, nothing is synced over.  I currently have the setting "Sync with Existing Assets Only" set to yes.  If I set that to no, it creates new assets.  What am I missing that will allow it to sync up with the existing assets in the system and populate that field? 

• Hi bknight, it depends on where you are storing this "Asset Tag" value. Validate that the Table or View has the actual values you want to bring over to WHD. I assume it is being captured in SCCM? If so, are you truly using the "Asset Tag" system resource value attached to Chassis/BIOS? Or some other value, as in this case above the OP was adding this value to the Computer Description attribute within Active Directory, which ties to the 'description0' table column I outlined above.

As a means of validating, I typically query against the SCCM View Tables outlined here: Hardware Inventory Views in Configuration Manager  (This one is for Hardware/ Device Information) Additional links on the lower left menu frame have the Table View for Asset Intelligence and Software Inventory once you navigate to this page.

Assuming I had Asset Tag information entered within the BIOS level, I would query against v_GS_SYSTEM_ENCLOSURE with column SMBIOSAssetTag0. As you explained with the serial number as the Asset No., that is what I did and continue to do given that number is unique enough for our purposes internally (~1700 machines). Each company will be different in this regards as whether an Asset Tag is applied in the BIOS, part of the hostname, applied to the Client Description, or applied on the Active Directory Computer Object Description. All of which have different tables and columns in which they are stored in SCCM, so knowing that much will help in validating your discovery connection is pulling from populated columns vs empty ones.

• Yes what I did was place the asset number in the description field in AD.  From there I set the description field to populate the SCCM database in the AD sync.  This populated the description0 field in SCCM.  I then setup the new database connection to WHD and set the description0 field to populate the Asset Tag field (custom field I created).  However the field is never updated.  The only way it does that is when it creates a new object.  I want it to look for existing assets already in the system and add to that field.  How do I get to update existing assets?  SCCM pull grabs all the information that I need except Asset tag.  The description0 field is not one of the fields you can match up with the sccm connection.