9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 1, 2015 1:15 PM by techadrian

Ticket Queue visible to all?

techadrian

I'd like to have all the clients be able to view my current ticket queue.  I'm the sole tech and would like all clients to be able to see the current ticket load so they can see what I'm working on.  How would I enable that?

It looks like I could just make everyone a client admin, but I'm not sure if that's really the best way to go about that.

Thanks.

• Re: Ticket Queue visible to all?
          timmeers

I'm not sure that's wise, or possibly really. Different industries have different regulations. Such as heath care, it's possible to have protected health information that not everyone may be privy to, in the tickets.

Most ticket systems are designed so the end user (the client), is only ever able to see their tickets. Or at most their orgs tickets. Setting them all as client admin may take care of the issue, as they would see all of the orgs tickets. But are you sure that's right for everyone? I would reserve that as a management function.

As someone that's been in IT for 16 years at multiple levels and orgs, that's just my $0.02.

Tim

winuxguy

This is not doable in WHD unless the you are willing to get a Tech License for a client to be able to login and search all tickets assigned to you then that would be the best case. Have you also checked if the Client Admin setup would work for you?

kellytice

The default behavior if you are logged into WHD as an end-user ("Client") is that on the History tab you will only see your own tickets.

However, there is an option in WHD called a "Client Admin" role which can allow for some extra visibility of ticket information on that tab.  You can grant that role to a Client user for a particular Location or Department.  So, if you have a user, Jane, and you want to grant her the ability to see (and even add a Note to, if desired) tickets from the Facilities department as well as her own tickets on that History tab, you can do that.

In theory, you could make all of your clients a Client Admin for either all Locations or all Departments.   As noted by others, the question is if you would really want to do that. 

techadrian

Yeah, in my original question I mention the option of making everyone a client admin.  Is there a list anywhere of exactly what the differences are between a client admin and a regular client?  Is it just the ability to see and add notes to tickets?  If so then that's probably what I'll do, or maybe quiglax's option below too.

kellytice

Basically, a regular Client can just see their own tickets on the History tab.   The Client Admin options are below:

2015-09-30 16_15_49-Web Help Desk - Facilities.png

The only one that isn't fairly obvious as to its purpose is the "client admin can report for others" which really means "client admin can create tickets on behalf of other users (in that department or location)".

The "Client Admin Ticket Permissions" allows you to just grant them View access or Edit access; the latter would allow them to add Notes to those tickets.  They still wouldn't be able to reassign or close the tickets, though.

quiglax

Another solution is to use the WHD API and write a webpage that pulls out your tickets, and the essential details (maybe subject, and client) and lists them on a web page.

That way you can expose as much of the queue as you want, but still protect information.

If you don't have any experience with the API, I can probably generate you a sample if you want.

techadrian

OK, I think I may just make everyone a client admin.  Now the only trick is, that can't be done with a Bulk Action, so I've got to do it 52 times over!

Cheers everyone, and thanks for the input.