2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 15, 2015 5:14 PM by cahunt

Nested Groups - How to? - updated

pjcnch

All--

Thank you in advance for any help. Please bear with me as I've just been handed a fairly large SW environment.  Latest general release versions of all components.

UPDATE:  OK.  The act of actually writing it out solved MOST the question below.  Next, how can I find a resource that doesn't show ALL groups (at the same level) and not just "Down" groups either (see pic)

SummaryView.aspx.jpg

For example, I'd like to add a custom property NetEng to each object (router, switch, interface, etc..) that is appropriate, suggestions?

Original question:

A number have groups have been set up, some static, some dynamic.  No real rhyme or reason per se. Many thousands of interfaces, objects already exist.

I would really like to create groups that are nested, such as North America -> US and Canada and Mexico at the next level.  Under US -> individual states then cities then servers or hardware in those cities - you get the idea.

I am very much not seeing an easy way to represent this.  Maybe I'm thinking "groups" and I should be calling it something else.  There are a number of posts and articles on nested groups, but none of them are particularly clear on "how" to do it.  "Manage Groups" seem great for creating a bunch of first level groups.

Of course the next obvious questions are getting the many thousands of individual objects into these new groups - but we can save that until after step 1.

Thank you again for any help

NCH

• Re: Nested Groups - How to? - updated
          lag

You want to be using custom properties. You can use these to dynamically populate groups, but, frankly, I'm not a big user of the groups feature. I'm very heavy with custom properties, though. At the very least, start there. Don't populate groups element by element, this will be a management nightmare. Use dynamic rules to populate your groups based on other properties (such as Custom Properties).

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • Re: Nested Groups - How to? - updated
              cahunt

I must agree with the Dynamic Group Setup - having 5K+ Servers it's better to use the contact or location field to build our your parameters/scheme to identify what group it should land in and let your dynamic queries assign the groups.

If your our size, you will need another Jr position to end up managing just the groups.

But use grouping, as well as custom properties.  They may overlap in some cases, but it will be better down the line when your making sure ducks are all lined up.

1 of 1 people found this helpful