4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 16, 2015 8:32 AM by timmeers

Assigning Techs in a School District Environment

lvogel22

Hey all - firstly, thank you in advanced for helping me out if you can.. I've spent hours trying to figure this out and I am ready to pull my hair out. I'm new to the forum, so please do not give me grief for posting about this when there might be a discussion out there that could help me.. I've searched, but I am unable to find the exact outcome for what I need.

I am a tech in a school district that uses Web Help Desk as our ticketing system. I am trying to figure out the right way for email notifications for our tech staff per location, rather than request type. Each techie at the different locations work on all request types, so it does not make sense to notify per request type.

We have 6 techs in WHD.

Myself and one other staff need to be emailed when a new ticket is created, period.

The 4 other techs need to be notified when a ticket is created in their buildings.

Here's who needs to be emailed when a ticket is created in each building:

District Office -

Lindsay (me)

Sibel

Elementary One -

Lindsay

Sibel

Bryce

Angie

Elementary Two -

Lindsay

Sibel

Jack

Middle School:

Lindsay

Sibel

Annette

High School:

Lindsay

Sibel

Annette

Does this make sense? Can anyone help?

• Re: Assigning Techs in a School District Environment
          it@cristoreybalt.org

Welcome to the forum!

First thing first: Be sure to review the Ticket Flow in WHD help. This will "help" tremendously: SolarWinds Web Help Desk Help

After doing that, you want to think about groups: Tech Groups and Location Groups.

Assign your Locations to Location Groups (could even be one Location to one Location Group) and assign your Techs to Tech Groups (could be "Elementary 1 TG" "Elementary 2 TG").

Let me know if you have other questions.

it@cristoreybalt.org

Under Techs > Tech Groups you should have an "IT" Tech Group set up with all members of your IT team in it. All request types can be assigned to that group. So when someone submits a ticket, the system will see "IT" as the tech group, then it will look at the location and say, "OK, X,Y, and Z are assigned to this location, so I will assign the ticket to one of them."

timmeers

Seems like you need to add each location in the system as a Location Group. Then add the actual location as a location under it and assign techs to those groups respectively. When a client from the Middle School adds a ticket to any Request Type, it doesn't matter as it will flow to the "Technician" Tech Group and only that location groups techs will ever see it.

Once you have your Location Groups created you can add Action Rules to email techs based on Location Groups on new ticket creations. That way not all of the techs are getting emails for every single ticket.

Make sense?

Tim