11 Replies Latest reply on Oct 8, 2015 6:31 AM by sdawson35

The End of Alert Central Updates?

vjerez4129

I just convinced my boss of the nice features of Alert Central to be able to better manage our Orion NPM/NCM alerts (as well as other alerts from our other monitoring software) and finally deployed a test Alert Central server to show off some proof of concepts. I've been hoping that they have the respond by SMS feature and CC features working by the time I actually get this thing running. SolarWinds hasn't made any updates in over a year (even though its on their "roadmap") and the forum looks pretty dead over there. After digging around someone said SolarWinds has stopped development of that product. So for some closure (and possibly a better email alerting system), is it true that Alert Central development has been pretty much scrapped?

• Re: The End of Alert Central Updates?
          cole

I'm curious about this too. I was just circling back to Alert Central this morning to help our on-call situation, I don't want to implement something that hasn't been updated for over a year/look like development has ceased.

jpashton

While there hasn't been an "official" declaration of any stop in development, it seems to be all but dead.  I've been working with AC since last summer and was able to apply the latest patch release and that was the last update I've seen for this product.  Due to conflicts with our Exchange environment, I had to retire the system altogether about two months ago since there haven't been any updates to address the growing number of issues we kept experiencing.  My recommendation is to look into the built in alerting system that is provided with the NPM/Orion system.

vjerez4129

Yea thats why i'm kinda hesitant to continue down using this product. I even asked for support on it because i needed help resetting the username and password for the management console and they told me to go ask around thwack. After searching through Thwack it recommended asking support :/

tcount

I was looking for a product to handle alerts from MS SCOM and AC would take emails from there; but now that solution sounds like it is dead. I will need some product to use as a "MOM" for Solarwinds and SCOM, leaves a big hole in my plans.

Solarwinds, what are you thinking for an answer to this problem????

mdflowers

Same here, I installed AC and found it to be very restrictive in how the alerts are sent, so moved on to another product. That product was shot down because of budget concerns, so here I am giving it another try, but I worry that if there are no updates coming, or professional services available, am I wasting my time.

It would be great to know where the product is going, and if they are going to offer it for sale in the near future.

bkhp

I have the same concerns.

We have a install running in an production environment and I would really like to avoid having to replace it. But if this has no future, I have to(sooner or later).

rayban

This is a product I'd really like to adopt but without native Exchange 2013 support I can't due to organizational policies. I could do some crazy workarounds to get it working but those wouldn't be approved, plus some basic features like custom email templates and maybe even an exposed API are not shipped in this product. I hope development hasn't stopped on this product as it would really address some business needs of ours at the attractive price point of free, although I imagine that it being free was a cause of the stop in development...

byrona

Victor, I was in the same boat as you.  Convinced my company what a great solution this could be to provide centralized alert management for not just Orion but a few of our other desperate systems as well and now I am second guessing that decision.  At this point I am really considering abandoning Alert Central since I don't see any development or even response from SolarWinds with regard for it's future.