This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Custom Properties - Bulk Import Values in Drop-Down Lists

If you've been following along at home you know that I've spent some time getting to know the CustomPropertyValues table lately.  Data integrity is a big deal for us and we spend a fair amount of time trying to figure out how to give control for data to the teams that should own it including, and especially, CMDB-centric values.  For example, for our application templates we have a few custom properties that include the application ID, default incident assignment group, business unit and segment, etc.  The key is really the application ID as it allows us to reference all of the other values in our CMDB and, if we were to do it, auto-populate the values from the CMDB into Solarwinds.

In our POC environment I was testing the population of values into a custom property called a_AssignmentGroup.  No problem (after talking with our DBAs emoticons_wink.png) -- since it is POC I'll just use the SSMS data import/export tool and run a query from the remote DB and import the data.  Pretty easy as far as I was concerned.  I ran a quick query:

SELECT *

FROM CustomPropertyValues

WHERE

Name = 'a_AssignmentGroup'

Sweet --- 500+ values in the CustomPropertyValues table and all with the TargetTable of APM_ApplicationCustomProperties.  Perfect.

When I jump over to the custom property editor this is where everything starts to fall apart.  I had set the 'Restrict Values' checkbox when I created custom property and, because it is required, placed a value in the list manually.  However, even though the SQL table has the values the UI is not showing them.

Has anyone else seen this behaviour?  This is going to be problematic for us as we update lists for other custom properties in our NPM 11.0.1 (Orion 2014.2.1) environment.  Is this behaviour new in Orion 2015.1.2?

2015-08-25 15_27_55-Edit Custom Property.png

EDIT:  For those wondering you cannot do the steps in reverse either.  If you populate the DB and then try to set the custom property to Restrict Values it deletes all of the imported values.  This because of the way that the values for that table are updated.  See Custom Properties - When Capitalization Matters for the nitty-gritty details.