This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

AppStack for Groups of Application Monitors - Not full stack?!?

Admittedly, I'm a little late to the AppStack game.  I chalk it up to an insane year, small team and lack of advanced cloning technologies.  As I started to delve into building groups, specifically for our HA applications, that would allow us to do some most simple alert constructs than the existing custom-SQL query monstrosities.  Feeling quite smart, I built a custom query for the group that included the nodes and application template I wanted to as application monitors in AppStack.  No problems!  The query builder found the application monitors applied to the nodes in question in our PoC environment running Orion 2015.1 via NPM 11.5.2 and SAM 6.2.1.  So far so good.

It was when I jumped over to the Group Details that things got a little strange.  The group status should up (as it should) and I could see the application group and the applications that belonged to the group but the servers that they were assigned to didn't show up.  That's odd.  If AppStack knows the application monitors then surely it knows that APM_Application.NodeID = NodesData.NodeID and could find the two servers that these application monitors are assigned to.  Our of curiousity I built another group that looked at just the nodes wondering if AppStack could tell me which applications and, since these nodes only have the application monitor in question applied to them, which groups were associated with them.  Negative. 

The issues appears to be that the groups can't see beyond the applications layer of AppStack and anything below applications (though I don't have WPM so I can't definitively say there) can't see into the group layer. Is that by design or is there something a little wonky going on!?  Interestingly I didn't see any use of application groups in the Solarwinds demo environment.  Did I miss something?

2015-08-24 09_10_22-App - Axway - HA - lpil0210oddb01_02.png