7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 21, 2015 12:01 PM by toneill2000

REST API returning 403 Forbidden for Admin user

toneill2000

I am currently using the SolarWinds rest API to extract Node information and all sorts of other data from the database. My scripts have been working fine until recently when I'm now receiving a 403 Forbidden message response from the server. The credentials I'm using are my admin credentials which I use for both the REST API as well as logging into the SW web UI. I've verified that my user credentials are fully equipped with admin rights across the board.

Does anyone know why I would all of a sudden have 403 forbidden responses for my REST API interfaces.  I can login to the web UI with no problems at all. I'm assuming it's a security thing for REST API but I don't know what would have changed. Thanks in advance.

Todd

Request:

GET https://localhost:17778/SolarWinds/InformationService/v3/Json/Query?query=select%2Bnodeid%2Bfrom%2Borion.NodesCustomProperties HTTP/1.1

Accept-Encoding: gzip,deflate

Host: localhost:17778

Connection: Keep-Alive

User-Agent: Apache-HttpClient/4.1.1 (java 1.5)

Authorization: Basic RnJhbmsuSGFuc2VuQGJsYWNrdksYmF1ZDpCbEBja2JhdWQx

Response:

HTTP/1.1 403 Forbidden

Content-Length: 0

Server: Microsoft-HTTPAPI/2.0

Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2015 16:58:01 GMT

• Re: REST API returning 403 Forbidden for Admin user
          tdanner

Did you intentionally scramble that Authorization header before posting this message? Because it is not valid base64 as it is.

toneill2000

Hi Tdanner,

Yes, that is correct, I scrambled that portion of the request as that is auto generated at run time. I was trying to avoid any reverse engineering sort of things on it. Anyways, all the other content is verbatim that it is sent and received. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Todd

toneill2000

I'm hoping there are others out there that have run across this issue and were able to resolve it. I cannot even login to SWQL Studio either. The error dialog that I get when trying to log into SWQL Studio is "Unable to connect to Information Service. An error occurred when verifying security for this message." It appears I have a security related problem but, as I mentioned, I can use these exact same login credentials to login to the web UI, navigate to all users and see that I have full Admin access rights. Thanks in advance for any assistance on this one.

tdanner

Are you using a Windows/AD account or an Orion database account?

You could also look in the information service log for more error details: C:\ProgramData\SolarWinds\InformationService\v3.0\Orion.InformationService.log

toneill2000

tdanner, thanks for response and here are answers to these.

1) Yes, we are using the Windows Account for access to the OS, SW Web UI, and the REST API. It is administrator with full rights on OS and SW user administration.

2) I'm pasting the log below. I ran several REST API requests and then refreshed my view on this file. I don't see anything related to my service request but it appears that an error is being put in the log every minute regarding licensing. Do you think this could be the issue? I'm also pasting the user admin screen showing full rights using the Windows account. Also, I'm posting the Soap UI request I was using for testing.

2015-08-20 21:44:52,547 [11] ERROR SolarWinds.Orion.Core.Common.LicenseBasedProductInfoProvider - Unable to load license for DPI v1.0 (QoE:1).  System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.

Parameter name: licenses

at SolarWinds.Orion.Core.Common.LicensedProductInfo.UpdateLicenses(IProductLicense[] licenses)

at SolarWinds.Orion.Core.Common.LicenseBasedProductInfoProvider.CreateProduct(ILicensedProduct product)

2015-08-20 21:45:53,010 [55] ERROR SolarWinds.Orion.Core.Common.LicenseBasedProductInfoProvider - Unable to load license for DPI v1.0 (QoE:1).  System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.

at SolarWinds.Orion.Core.Common.LicensedProductInfo.UpdateLicenses(IProductLicense[] licenses)

at SolarWinds.Orion.Core.Common.LicenseBasedProductInfoProvider.CreateProduct(ILicensedProduct product)

2015-08-20 21:46:53,472 [3] ERROR SolarWinds.Orion.Core.Common.LicenseBasedProductInfoProvider - Unable to load license for DPI v1.0 (QoE:1).  System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.

2015-08-20 21:47:53,948 [41] ERROR SolarWinds.Orion.Core.Common.LicenseBasedProductInfoProvider - Unable to load license for DPI v1.0 (QoE:1).  System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.

Screen Shot 2015-08-20 at 8.56.40 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-08-20 at 9.00.45 PM.png