7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2015 3:36 AM by michal.kozel

Alert for Virtual windows server CPU

kp369

Hi,

I am having issue with the CPU alerts.I went through the few Thwack discussion but I did not find any solution. Please see the below details:

Virtual Machine - Windows OS

CPU -  Number of virtual sockets - 2

Number of cores per socket - 1

Total Number of cores - 2

From VCenter performance details - CPU utilization is 100% but no alerts from SolarWinds. (CPU 0 & CPU 1 - Combined utilization - 100%)

Orion Platform 2014.2.1, SAM 6.1.0, QoE 1.0, IPAM 4.1, NPM 11.0.1, NTA 3.11.0, IVIM 1.10.0

Please help me solve the following:

For e.g Node name = A and NodeID = 11

1) how to configure CPU combined utilization alert for node A only

2) how to configure CPU combined utilization alert for all node

3) please provide trigger and reset conditions

I have tried this query but did not work.

Start a new alert. Set it to be a Node alert. Then change it to be a Custom SQL query (with the sub-type still Node).

In the box where you can type your query, add:

join CPUMultiLoad on Nodes.NodeID = CPUMultiLoad.NodeID

where DATEDIFF(mi, CPUMultiLoad.TimeStampUTC, SYSUTCDATETIME()) < 5

and CPUMultiLoad.AvgLoad > 85

This will trigger when any single "CPU" (core or otherwise) is over 85 within the last 5 minutes (ie: one polling cycle)

• Re: Alert for Virtual windows server CPU
          michal.kozel

Hi,

if I understand correctly, you are interested to CPU utilization for whole virtual machine, not for individual cores.

Please follow these steps or import attached alerts in ZIP file 'Alerts_CpuUtilization.zip'.

Virtual machine is managed as a node - data are polled e.g. through WMI

1. Create new alert
          2. Tab trigger condition
            • Type of Property to Monitor: Node
            • All conditions have to be met, so select 'Trigger Alert when all of the following apply'
            • Add these complex conditions
              • filed Node name is equal to value <name of virtual machine>
              • field Node ID is equal to value <node id of virtual machine>
              • field CPU Load is greater than value <e.g. 85>
          3. Tab reset condition
            • Let checked 'Reset when trigger conditions are no longer true' or create your own reset condition. Similar to trigger condition.

• You can not use data from table 'CPUMultiLoad'. There are data for each virtual machine's core separately.
          • If you are interested for all virtual machines, let out filtering conditions - Node name and Node ID.

Virtual machine is polled through vCenter - data are polled through VMware API

• There is no need to have virtual machine managed as a node, but parent ESX host has to be managed as a node.

1. Create new alert
          2. Tab trigger condition
            • Type of Property to Monitor: Virtual Machine
            • All conditions have to be met, so select 'Trigger Alert when all of the following apply'
              • filed Display name is equal to value <name of virtual machine>
              • field Virtual Machine ID is equal to value <id of virtual machine>
              • field CPU Utilization is greater than value <e.g. 85>
          3. Tab reset condition
            • Let checked 'Reset when trigger conditions are no longer true' or create your own reset condition. Similar to trigger condition.

• If you are interested for all virtual machines, let out filtering conditions - Display name and Virtual Machine ID.

Best regards,

Michal

• Re: Alert for Virtual windows server CPU
              kp369

Hi,

Thank you so much for your reply and I really appreciate your help.

I have tried both queries and in Alert Manager but not getting the alerts. I have tested those queries in alert manager and the results are as follows:

Test results for query 1

{

Virtual machine is managed as a node - data are polled e.g. through WMI

1. Create new alert
              2. Tab trigger condition
                • Type of Property to Monitor: Node
                  • filed Node name is equal to value <name of virtual machine>
                  • field Node ID is equal to value <node id of virtual machine>
                  • field CPU Load is greater than value <e.g. 85>

}

Alert: CPU on the <node name> is = 56 %

Alert Name: Test alert for <node name> CPU utilization

So it's not giving me the the right answer because cpu 1 =56% and cpu 2 = 50% - I am looking for alert email for combined utilization which would be 106%

Test results for query 2

Virtual machine is polled through vCenter - data are polled through VMware API

• There is no need to have virtual machine managed as a node, but parent ESX host has to be managed as a node.
              1. Create new alert
              2. Tab trigger condition
                • Type of Property to Monitor: Virtual Machine

• filed Display name is equal to value <name of virtual machine>
                  • field Virtual Machine ID is equal to value <id of virtual machine>
                  • field CPU Utilization is greater than value <e.g. 85>

Alert: CPU on the <node name> is = ${CPULoad}   (I am not sure why its not returning any number here - it might be because virtual machine managed as node - not sure)

Alert Name: Test alert for <node name> CPU utilization

Thanks & Kind Regards

KP.