8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 5, 2015 4:23 PM by josh.d

Windows 10

tradition

My system updated to Windows 10 a few days ago. I went to open Voyager and it will not do anything. It will not FTP any files and it will not open the server side files to access. It just sits and spins. Is this caused from the Windows 10 upgrade or should I look elsewhere? Thanks, Ronald Shackelford.

• Re: Windows 10
          josh.d

Did the local firewall get re-enabled?

tradition

I had a Comodo firewall but it would not work with the Windows 10 at all, so I uninstalled it. This is when the problem began which is the same time of the Windows install.

josh.d

I don't know for certain if voyager work with win10 or not.  I think it should work, as nothing big has changed with the way the OS works.  My guess is that it might be firewall related.

Things I would check:

-Run as admin

-See if other programs have trouble accessing the net

-Try another FTP tool, and see if it has the same issues

-Check the windows firewall, see if its on.

-make sure comodo really uninstalled.  If it left some parts, they might be messing with the network stack.

tradition

Thanks for the suggestions.

-Run as admin - I did this first off with no difference.

-See if other programs have trouble accessing the net - My other programs are working well except for Comodo.

-Try another FTP tool, and see if it has the same issues - Filzilla works well but I hate that program.

-Check the windows firewall, see if its on. - This I will do. The system automattically turned on the Window's firewall so I will check it.

-make sure comodo really uninstalled.  If it left some parts, they might be messing with the network stack. - I will clear all remnants of Comodo.

I will post again later. Just so you know. I had Voyager on three computers in my home. One is a bought and paid for edition but the other two were the "free" version. Both free versions stopped working and now the paid version has stopped. Let me check some logs and I will be back later. Thank you for your help.

tradition

I reinstalled the program with no success but I did find this: Programs are now called Windows apps in Windows 10. I did a search in the file system for Voyager and I found something. It has several files with links that say that the app FTP_Voyager crashed. I clicked on the links and it went to a .wer file. I tried to open and view one but it would not let. If Windows 10 is the problem, you guys are in for a bunch of problems. About a gazillion people upgraded to the "free" version of Windows 10 but hopefully it is now a windows 10 problem. I am kinda stumped at this point. I will have to use filzilla for now because I have some server work that I must do for myself.

voyager.gif

josh.d

Can you open the .wer file in notepad & see what the crash is?

Also, can you check your event viewer, and see if there anymore info?

Have you tried reinstalling voyager after the upgrade?

tradition

I went to Sourceforge and downloaded Filezilla and it had a virus/malware. It took 12 hours to get rid of the thing and I still have remnants of the malware in my Firefox opening page but I have gotten it to where it comes up as a blank page, then I hit the "home" icon and everything is fine. The malware installs into the MachineHelper folder and creates a new one named MachineHelpers (note the "s"). It took 5 different virus/malware programs to get rid of it.

During the time of working to get rid of this thing I had to do system resets, browser resets, new search engine resets and so on. After reading your last post, I thought what the hay, I might as well try it and it worked. I was able to upload all my files and I am so glad. I love this program and I am kinda set in my ways. I have had FTP Voyager for years, almost from the start of Twack or whoever develops it.

If I am able to resolve why it now works and would not before the virus, I will post back but right now I am just glad to be working again. Thank you for your help, it is greatly appreciated. I will set this topic to solved if I can find it.

Ron.

josh.d

Yeah, Sourceforge can be... iffy at times.  Sorry you went through that.

Since it now works, I have 2 theories:

-The removal of Comodo took something that Voyager needed (like a library), or it undid a setting that voyager needed.  Since there is an associated crash, I expect it was a common library

-The Win10 upgrade messed up an existing install.

Hopefully, it was the comodo uninstall.  If it was the upgrade, microsoft must have done something unexpected.