3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2015 7:31 AM by kjstech

Windows 10 not Vista

charlesnm

I just install Windows 10 on your network.  Why does Solarwinds Patch-manager show Operating System as Vista and not Windows 10?    

• Re: Windows 10 not Vista
          stcain

That's a WSUS issue, not a Patch Manager issue. Try this fix.

Windows 10 on WSUS Shows as Windows Vista | Title (Required):
          http://titlerequired.com/2015/07/22/windows-10-on-wsus-shows-as-windows-vista/

I noticed a thread on a forum regarding Windows 10 reporting to WSUS as Windows Vista. This was a problem if you recall for Windows 8 and Server 2012 simply reporting as Windows 6.3 or similar.

Since WSUS received no updates that i was aware of to fix that issue at the time, i found a SQL Command here that updated the WSUS DB to reflect the correct OS name.

Revisiting that now, It was easy enough to modify this to have WSUS report a Windows 10 machine, as Windows 10!

UPDATE [SUSDB].[dbo].[tbComputerTargetDetail]
          SET [OSDescription] = 'Windows 10'
          WHERE [OSMajorVersion] = '10'
          AND [OSMinorVersion] = '0'
          AND [OldProductType] <> '1'
          AND ([OSDescription] <> 'Windows 10' or [OSDescription] IS NULL)

jkump

Funny you would have thought that WSUS would have had an update on or just before the release of Windows 10 to the wild -- even though most of the release was for home users .........

kjstech

Nope, Microsoft is @ss backwards.  They didn't even release RSAT tools for Windows 10 yet.  Until they do so I cannot update my workstation because using remote server administration tools with runas is far easier than multiple RDP sessions or vSphere client sessions to servers.