This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

SWIS or JSON/REST API to bulk IMPORT xml web reports?

NPM 11.5.2, NCM 7.4 and SDK 1.10

I have managed to take an xml export of a web based report and using perl, read the file (as one line)  and using regex to replace existing nodeID's, interfaceIDs in the <DataSources> section, Titles and names where applicable.  All other parts of the report are identical.

The new xml file imports nicely via the "import" feature in web reports.

However, I have about 300 of these individual report files.

Does anyone know how to import these via scripting instead of through the web console?

I tried to construct a JSON Invoke but I am pretty sure it didn't like the xml file.  the "definition" field in existing reports has different tag names and such.  Tried using one of those as a template... and it still failed.  I am certain the definition is incorrect.

If anyone has done this successfully, please let me know.  I don't mind looping through each xml file via a script doing an invoke each time.

I also don't mind doing this through swis either. 

Also as a FEATURE REQUEST - being able to select multiple files when importing reports would make this much easier.

thanks.

• You can import a report with the CreateReport verb on the Orion.Report entity. It expects these parameters:

1. name
    2. description
    3. limitationCategory
    4. category
    5. title
    6. subtitle
    7. definition - the report defintion in XML form
    8. isFavorite - not sure why this is declared as a string, since it must be "true" or "false"
    9. userName - this will be the owner of the report. You can leave it blank.

Most of these parameters correspond to the values of the properties of Orion.Report, so you can see the corresponding values on existing reports by querying that entity.

• HI @Tdanner but what is the definition?

i have done the below and copied a 'definition' from an exciting report but its not quite working emoticons_sad.png have i got the syntax correct? 

Invoke-SwisVerb $swis Orion.Report CreateReport @("Active Alerts older than 7 days","All alerts 'Active' older then 7 days",$null,"Compliance",$null,$null,"definition????",$null,$null)

pastedImage_0.png

but its throwing an error.

pastedImage_2.png

can you tell me the correct syntaxs for this?

also can this be done to import alerts?

thanks in advanced

• Here's a sample script that reads a report, modifies it, and then imports it back.

Update 2017-01-19: there were a number of problems with the script as I posted it. I'm removing it to avoid future confusion. I will follow up in this thread with a better script.

• Alert configurations are a bit simpler to import and export. I added documentation for this to the bottom of https://github.com/solarwinds/OrionSDK/wiki/Alerts .

• Hi tdanner​ thank you for your help. just run into a slight problem. tried so many ways to export the XML file and re import it emoticons_sad.png i have tried to out file export to xml then import from xml but cant get it tow work emoticons_sad.png if did create with the query.

# Fetch an existing report definition 

$reportInfo = Get-SwisData $swis "SELECT top 1 Name, Category, Title, Type, SubTitle, Description, Definition, LimitationCategory, Owner

FROM Orion.Report where name like '%All Disk Volumes%'"

#| Export-Clixml c:\testing.xml

#$importxml = Import-Clixml C:\testing.xml

$reportXml = [xml]$reportInfo.Definition 

#$reportxml = [xml]$importxml.Definition

# Prepare arguments for calling Orion.Report.CreateReport 

$name = $reportXml.Report.Name

$description = $reportXml.Report.Description

$limitationCategory = "custom"

$category = "custom" 

$title = $reportXml.Report.Title 

$subtitle = $reportXml.Report.SubTitle

$definition = $reportXml.OuterXml

$isFavorite = "true" 

$username = "admin"

# Import the modified report 

Invoke-SwisVerb $swis Orion.Report CreateReport @($name, $description, $limitationCategory, $category, $title, $subtitle, $definition, $isFavorite, $username)

but im getting this:

pastedImage_4.png

not sure if some formatting is out of place tired so many ways but brains going to mush emoticons_sad.png

hope you can provide some aid emoticons_happy.png

• i guess this would be the ideal scenario

# Connect to SWIS 

$swis = Connect-Swis -Hostname $orionServer -UserName $orionUsername -Password $orionPassword 

$reportInfo = Get-SwisData $swis "SELECT top 1 Name, Category, Title, Type, SubTitle, Description, Definition, LimitationCategory, Owner

FROM Orion.Report where name like '%All Disk Volumes%'" | Export-Clixml c:\testing.xml

$importxml = Import-Clixml C:\testing.xml

#$reportXml = [xml]$reportInfo.Definition 

#$reportxml = [xml]$importxml.Definition

$name = $importxml.Name

$description = $importxml.Description

$limitationCategory = $importxml.LimitationCategory

$category = $importxml.Category

$title = $importxml.Title

$subtitle = $importxml.SubTitle

$definition = $importxml.Definition

$isFavorite = "true" 

$username = "admin"

Invoke-SwisVerb $swis Orion.Report CreateReport @($name, $description, $limitationCategory, $category, $title, $subtitle, $definition, $isFavorite, $username)

• Second try! One important note: Orion has two reporting systems. There's a legacy reporting system based on the old "Report Writer" desktop app and a newer, much more flexible reporting system that has a web-based editor. On the Reports page (Orion/Reports/ViewReports.aspx) there is a "Type" column that tells you which type a given report it.  The Orion.Report.CreateReport verb only works with the web-based reports.

Try this one:

# Parameters

$orionServer = "orionserver"

$orionUsername = "admin"

$orionPassword = ""

$oldReportName = "Agent Plugin Version"

# Connect to SWIS

$swis = Connect-Swis -Hostname $orionServer -UserName $orionUsername -Password $orionPassword

$reportInfo = Get-SwisData $swis "SELECT TOP 1 Name, Definition FROM Orion.Report WHERE Name=@name" @{name=$oldReportName}

$reportXml = [xml]$reportInfo.Definition

# Modify our local copy of the existing report

$reportXml.Report.Name = "Modified $oldReportName"

$name = $reportXml.Report.Name

$description = $reportXml.Report.Description

$limitationCategory = $reportXml.Report.LimitationCategory

$category = $reportXml.Report.Category

$title = $reportXml.Report.Name

$subtitle = ""

$definition = $reportXml.OuterXml

$isFavorite = "true"

$username = $orionUsername

• Thanks dude,

yea whats really nice about the old method is you can just use Copy-Item cmdlet just copy to Report Writer folder done emoticons_happy.png.

can i export to xml then re-import Xml and use this method to bulk import Web based reports?

ill give this a try my head was mush yesterday lol

cheers

• > can i export to xml then re-import Xml and use this method to bulk import Web based reports?

Yes, that should work.