7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 8, 2015 7:21 AM by Steven Hunt

VM vmotion travel map

BakerD

Is there any way to build a report/graph etc that will show a VM and what ESX hosts it have traveled across during a certain time?

We have a cluster and VMs are automatically moved around to balance load and performance.  I would like to see a time travel report so to speak of a VM and what all hosts it was on when?  I know I can drill down to a VM and click on Map and then go back and forth day by day, but that doesn't show me a big picture of say a month or more.  Even then scrolling day by day takes a long time.

Thanks

• Re: VM vmotion travel map
          Milan_Volejnik

Hello, AFAIK there's no way (except time travel) to get those historical movements.

BakerD

How do I go about viewing Time Travel?

Thanks

Milan_Volejnik

There are two options:
                  1) Compare (DNA) module - you can compare values of one or two VMs (or Hosts) in time:

- choose a VM, press Compare button

- you can see how the VM travelled in time by selection of start and end date & time

2) Map module - list of all VMs, Hosts, .. and their mutual bindings

a) go to Explore - Map module, choose a VM and move it to Context window (see picture below), or

b) perform a search query, choose a VM and press Map button

=> after that the Time Travel is enabled and you can see if (or when) the VM was migrated

Did it help?

BakerD

Sorry took so long to answer but nope help on either of those.  On your 1st option it just compares two dates.  On the 2nd option I have to still click to advance the date/day forward or backward to see what host it was on.

I guess I'm looking more for a graph or report that shows in one window/screen that all hosts and dates a VM moved around to.

If I knew exactly what date I was looking for, then yes any of the above would work to find out what host it was on.  But say I get complaints of a server that is slow once in awhile or during specific times.  I want to see if there might be a pattern that each time it is reported slow it is on a certain host without having to go look at each date/time.

Or maybe just see in an overall picture how much a VM moves around to show how much a vcenter cluster is trying to balance VMs.