This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Monitor autostarting SQL service - How to turn this off

I am evaluating DPA and noticed that if I turn off the service to a monitored SQL server, DPA will restart the service when it noticed that it's stopped.  Is there a way to stop this behavior?  If a SQL Server service is stopped, I would prefer to investigate rather than have it automatically restarted.

Thanks

• Do you mean that the actual SQL Server windows Service is being restarted, not just the DPA monitoring itself?

I don't think DPA has that functionality (unless it is new in 9.2). It will attempt to restart monitoring, but as far as I know, there's no option to restart the database services themselves.

Are you sure you don't have autorestart configured on the SQL Server?

Open the SQL Server Management Studio Management folder, right-click the SQL Server Agent entry, and select Properties.

On the General page, see if the Auto Restart SQL Server If It Stops Unexpectedly check box is ticked.

• If you look in the repo for a table named COND, you will see two columns (command and status).

The command represents the desired state of monitoring as gcp points out and status reflects, well the status.

If you want it to NOT try to restart monitoring, then the command should be set to 'STOP'.

Hope that helps.