This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Login failed LEM reports

FormerMember
FormerMember

i am trying to get all log messages from the LEM reports. I installed the Reports and Crystal runtime file on my computer which was not a big issue. But everytime i try to add a manager i can"t ping the connection. Gives me the error that Ping failed. I ignored the ping error and continued to run the a report. But then i get this error telling me that the logon failed with an error code.

Logon Failed.PNG

I did some research and found a few thing about this issue. I already all those thing but nothing so far. I am still using the trial version which i don't think should be the issue.

Need your help guys.

• Can you please confirm or attempt the following for reports?

First, what version of the LEM are you running and what version of reports?

- To find the LEM version, open the console and look at the Blue Screen of Life.  The version is at the top.  Alternatively, open an SSH session and run a VIEWSYSINFO under the MANAGER menu.

- To find the version of reports, with reports open, enter CTRL + A.  A splash-screen with the version should appear.

The LEM version and the reports version should match.  Reports 5.7 will work with LEM 5.6 and 5.7, but not with any previous version.

Second, were all the reports components installed as an Administrator?  This is especially important in Windows Vista, 7 and 8.  Even if you're logged in as a local or domain admin, Windows needs to be explicitly told to run applications as an Administrator to use those rights.  Both the reports console and the Crystal Reports Runtime 11 need to be installed as an Administrator.  If this wasn't the case, please uninstall reports and Crystal and reinstall as an administrator.

Third, are you running reports as an Administrator when you try to gather data?

Fourth, can you telnet from your machine to the LEM appliance on port 9001?  You should get some response about HSQL if it works.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to curtisi

Hi curtisi,

Here are the following information:

1- LEM version: 6.1.0

LEM Reports: 6.1.0.2

Windows Version: 6.1.7600

2- Yes i have installed all the reports components as administrator. First as domain and then i even tried it with the local administrator.

3- I always run it as administrator. As i had seen in an earlier post about this issue.

4- I think this could be the problem. If i try to Telnet my LEM appliance on port 9001, i get connection to host lost.

But my appliance is configured on port 8080.

• The LEM web console operates on either port 8080 (http) or port 8443 (https/ssl).  The reports console works on TCP port 9001 to communicate with the database on the LEM appliance.  Response should look like:

2015-07-15 11_54_20-Administrator_ Command Prompt.png

Can you confirm that the credentials you're using in the Reports console match a user created in the LEM with the Auditor, Administrator or Reports role?  If you're using a domain account, are you entering it the same way that it appears in the LEM web console under BUILD --> USERS?  If your domain is DOMAIN.LOCAL and you usually log into Windows with DOMAIN, LEM will expect DOMAIN.LOCAL\USER.

• FormerMember

Yes that is excactly what i see. I have two users in my LEM appliance:1 the swi-lem admin and 2 a user i created later. Do i have to add a user from the AD with the Administrator, Auditor and Reports Role?

• No, you should be able to use the Admin credentials to run Reports.  Maybe re-enter the password to make sure it wasn't typo'd?

• FormerMember

I just added my domain account as admin in the LEM appliance and tried to run the reports, but still nothing. I don't really now where to find a solution for this issueemoticons_confused.png. I don't think that it has to do with the password, because i changed the password a few times. Maybe you can take a look at my SWLEMReports log if there something missing or wrong going on. I don't see a way to attach my log file.

• You may want to open a support ticket to have them look at it.

• FormerMember

Sounds like a good idea. I will do that. Thanks for your help my fiend.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember

One note on this issue - we do have a Reports Troubleshooting Guide that you may want to check out - http://www.solarwinds.com/documentation/lem/docs/LEMReportsTroubleshootingGuide.pdf (PDF) or SolarWinds Log & Event Manager Reports Troubleshooting Guide (HTML).

• I know this is a little older but was there ever a solution for this...I'm running into the same issue.