This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Am I senile? I thought I remember running multiple additional poller installers concurrently - allowed or not?

Am I senile? I thought I remember running multiple additional poller installers concurrently.

Yet when I call my friendly support rep they assure me the SWIS service is only open for installing pollers one at a time. Anyone else try this and succeed or fail?

Trying to save time.

• ...my understanding and mode of operation...as long as the primary engine is done, you can run multiple instances of additional * (including wizards) at the same time after I think 11.0 maybe?

I have 4 of addt'l web and poll and run them all concurrently after main done.

• I thought I was just second guessing myself. Now if only I can get Solarwinds to better document the included module versions in each additional poller engine bundle I can get this down to just a  few hours.

• Yea, I can't use those.  I download each one individually from that additional polling engine download page

...speaking of senility...I actually called in last time to figure out where to download one of the APE modules...

what's that smell????

BRAIN FART​ TOOT

• I'm the same as njoylif‌, I shut down the services on the APEs/web and as soon as the main is upgraded I start upgrading the others concurrently.

It can sometimes take a while for the newer versions to be included in the bundles. I also ran into an issue once with a SAM hotfix where the APE wouldn't install because of supposed version mismatch - I had to uninstall the hotfix, install the APE, and then re-install the hotfix on the main poller and APE.

• I just had the same issue where NCM 7.4.0 in the bundle would not install due to a supposed version mismatch. Guess what...NCM module reports version as 7.4.2.

• Ok, so I just ran into the dreaded...

Capture.PNG

But, I jumped the gun and tried to run wizards on other systems before the main engine finished.

Once I let it finish the optimization and permissions checking, I started all of the rest (8) of them with no problem; in parallel.

• No, you cannot... because for some reason Solarwinds sometimes put SQL DML statements in the additional poller install (drop index, create index, etc.) I think this is stupid -- because the additional pollers need to match the main app server version then they should assume that the database has all been modified to match and not touch the database structure at all.

I'm also thinking that APE install wizard should not touch the data in the tables either, though there might be cases where that is needed. This may make the main poller install run for longer, but then long-running data migration should happen in the background anyway.

Aside: there is an IDEA from me asking for database updates to be removed from additional polling engine installers.

I normally run the product installer on all the servers in parallel, and then run the config wizards sequentially at the end

• According to the thwack camp improved install process is on the radar.

I think the existing process needs a complete revamp including having APE be both background and without need for an outage.

Cannot come even close to even 3 nines with Orion with APE if you have a few installs and a few issues per year.