This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

ESX Query for Disk IOPs

We have quite a few ESX servers that connect to a Netapp SAN.  We are able to go into Virtual Center and see the disk reads and writes per second under the performance and it will show for an indivudual ESX server what each guest is doing.  I'm wondering if anyone might know of a way to monitor this with Orion.  I'm guessing VMWare is using some sort of built in function and an API call, not SNMP to gather this data.  I did see where I can pull disk reads and writes for the ESX host, but it's total and not per second.  If there is a way someone knows of to convert that to per second that would work.sdfsdf

• Are you looking at monitoring each Guest VM?  

• Of sorts.  I'm trying to see if there is a way to just query ESX to see what disk IOPs each guest is doing.  I can query ESX and see the LUNs and idsk reads and writes, but it appears to be total disk reads and writes and not per second averages.  It also doesn't really break it down to the individual guests usage of that LUN.

• We are running about 70 VM's on a ESX Cluster. 

I put each guest VM into Orion for individual monotoring.  I then load this software SNMP informant standard http://www.snmp-informant.com/  on the guest VM.  This software translates WMI data into SNMP data.  I then have custom pollers and I pull the following data points on the VM servers disks.

lDiskAvgDiskQueueLength 
    lDiskAvgDiskReadQueueLength 
    lDiskAvgDiskSecPerTransfer 
    lDiskAvgDiskWriteQueueLength 
    lDiskDiskTransfersPerSec 
    lDiskPercentDiskTime 
    lDiskPercentIdleTime 
    lDiskSplitIOPerSec 

• The only problem we have with that is we would then have to go into each individual guest node to see what it's doing for disk IOPs.  We were hoping to have a view where we could look at the ESX host node details and see what each guest on that host was doing in a table and chart view.  So, for instance, right now if I click on an ESX server and go to the details page I have the List of Virtual Machines table that shows the VM name, Operating System, Status, etc.  I'd like that same type of table showing me the VM Name, Disk Reads per second, and Disk Writes per second.  I'm new to Orion so if there is a way to consolidate that data into this type of view that would be great. 

• You could probably create a report showing you this information.  The only problem if you are using Vmotion with DRS then the Guest VM will keep changing Node.

So I know for myself when I click on Server Node Details it shows which host has that praticular Guest VM.  Maybe a custom report that keys off this field.