3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 6, 2015 3:03 PM by dhanson

Advanced Alerts - test alert continues to send

rdufresne

After successfully adding a node, I created an advanced alert to check for node down. The trigger action is to write to NetPerMon event log and send an email. The email is defined as my cell number@provider. I tested the alert once and immediately received several text messages to my mobile phone. I had only expected one and thought this as unusual but ignored it. I have been receiving several text messages throughout the day and evening and believed this to be an error with the alert. When I look at the Advanced Alert configuration, I cannot find the alert that I had created earlier. There is no audit records, event logs, or indication of this alert firing.

I am not certain where to look or how to stop this text message. I am looking for any help in getting this resolved.

Thanks in advance

Bob

• Re: Advanced Alerts - test alert continues to send
          dhanson

Have you already resolved this? I see this occurred at least 2 days ago, always a possibility that you've figured it out already.

Otherwise, what version of NPM are you running - 11.0 or 11.5+?

If you still have the Advanced Alert Manager application on the server, you can manage your alerts from there - just have to remember what you named the alert, and modify accordingly (If you'd like, you can post the rule on here and we can help figure out why it's triggering so frequently). By the way, some of the out-of-the-box alerts should include a "down" alert.

If you've performed this in 11.5, I'm not familiar enough with web-based alerting to assist much, but I'd assume there's a summary page with all of your trigger actions listed, and you should be able to modify the action to remove your cell as the contact. Then find the alert and post the rules you've implemented on here so we can help figure out why it is continually going off.

-HTH!

rdufresne

I have not resolved it yet. Also opened a case with Solarwinds but they have not responded yet. We have the Orion suite of tools (SAM, IPAM, etc.) and NPM is at 10.7. When I took over this tool I spoke to Solarwinds and they did not believe an upgrade was urgent.

The problem I have with the alert is I cannot find it. I recall what I named it, but it does not appear in the list of all my alerts.

With respect to the trigger action list, I do not see any reference to the trigger being sent. I suspect a test alert does not show in audit or messaging logs.

If I can find the alert my first action would be to delete it or set proper actions to stop it.

Thanks for the reply

Bob

dhanson

with 10.7, you won't have the trigger/alert action lists. in 11.5, they introduced web-based alerting, and that's where you'd be able to manipulate your triggers and actions separately.

So you should have the Advanced Alert Manager still. You say you can't find the alert you want in there? One idea might be to disable suspect alerts until the messaging stops. The alerts would only have to be down for the duration of a poll interval for you to be able to tell, right? I know you mentioned there is no audit record, event log, or indication of the alert firing...I assume this includes NPM's event log, which you state was part of the alert actions?

Another option is to stop the SolarWinds Alerting Engine until you can identify the culprit. Or it might be a hung job - maybe restarting the service might resolve your issue and stop it from resubmitting the test notification over and over.

HTH!