This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Converting private IP address... connection never completes.

I am using FTP Voyager 15 to connect to my Serve-U 6 account. I control the server and have just installed it on a Windows Server 2008 R2 computer. I previously used it on Windows Server 2003 for ten years, and I am very familiar with the interface and all.

I must have done something wrong with this new installation or account creation because I cannot connect to any account. Here is the complete log from the session:

220 Serv-U FTP Server v6.2 for WinSock ready...
COMMAND:>HOST 132.236.21.62
530 Not logged in.
COMMAND:>USER Slava
331 User name okay, need password.
COMMAND:>PASS ***********
230 User logged in, proceed.
COMMAND:>SYST
215 UNIX Type: L8
COMMAND:>FEAT
211-Extension supported
CLNT
MDTM
MDTM YYYYMMDDHHMMSS[+-TZ];filename
SIZE
SITE PSWD;EXEC;SET;INDEX;ZONE;CHMOD;MSG
REST STREAM
XCRC filename;start;end
MODE Z
MLST Type*;Size*;Create;Modify*;Win32.ea*;
211 End
COMMAND:>CLNT FTP Voyager 15.2.0.15
200 Noted.
COMMAND:>SITE ZONE
210 UTC-240
COMMAND:>PWD
257 "/w:" is current directory.
COMMAND:>CWD /w:
250 Directory changed to /w:
COMMAND:>MODE Z
200 MODE Z ok.
COMMAND:>OPTS MODE Z LEVEL 6
200 MODE Z LEVEL set to 6.
COMMAND:>PASV
227 Entering Passive Mode (192,168,1,3,214,253)
STATUS:>Private IP address returned by the server in response to PASV command.
STATUS:>Converting private IP address 192.168.1.3 to public IP address 132.236.21.62
COMMAND:>MLSD

After that, nothing happens: no listing is displayed, the cursor remains forever an hourglass, and the only thing I can do is close FTP Voyager.

Serve-U is set to use Port 23 (Port 21 is otherwise occupied). FTP Voyager is set to use Passive mode. The router behind which the server is sitting is set to forward the usual ports for passive connections, and of course port 23.

I'd appreciate a suggestion. Thanks!

• I am replying to my own questions. The problem was that I opened the wrong ports in the router, and so passive mode could not succeed. I've now posted a separate item about which ports are needed because the info I found about ports 50000-50009 is not correct.

• You can also see what ports are being used in the connection by doing the following calculation..

227 Entering Passive Mode 192,168,1,3,214,253

214*256 + 253 = 55037

This is useful to know if the PASV port range you think you are using is in effect.