This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Solarwinds Database over 80% full

FormerMember
FormerMember

Hi All,

As the title suggests, my installation of NPM is complaining that it is over 80% full.. I saw some older documentations on how to fix this, I ran the truncate commands on my database tables but that doesn't appear to have done much, and I think the steps changed with new versions I.E. someone mentioned to right click my database and "compact" it however I saw no such options.

If someone could please walk me through getting my DB cleared up, perhaps also help changing the retention periods so they don't pile up again that would be super awesome. I tried reading the documentations for this and they mentioned Orion System Manager but didn't state how to find it.

Software VersionWindows Server 2008 R2
OS Version6.1.7601.65536
Service PackService Pack 1
Database Server(local)\SQLEXPRESS
CatalogSolarWindsOrion
Database EngineMicrosoft SQL Server 2008 R2 (SP2) - 10.50.4000.0 (X64)
Jun 28 2012 08:36:30
Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation
Express Edition with Advanced Services (64-bit) on Windows NT 6.1 <X64> (Build 7601: Service Pack 1) (Hypervisor)
SQL VersionMicrosoft SQL Server 2008 R2 (SP2) - 10.50.4000.0 (X64) Jun 28 2012 08:36:30 Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation Express Edition with Advanced Services (64-bit) on Windows NT 6.1 <X64> (Build 7601: Service Pack 1) (Hypervisor) ; Product level : SP2
Security ModelUsername / Password
User NameSolarWindsOrionDatabaseUser
Connection Timeout20

Network Elements7175
Nodes4167
Interfaces2362
Volumes646

Alerts10590
Events129874
Pollers20059
Polling Engines1

Last Database Archive01-Jul-2015 02:17 AM
Next Scheduled Database Archive02-Jul-2015 02:15 AM
Database Archive Time02:15 AM

Retain Detail Stats7 Days
Retain Hourly Stats30 Days
Retain Daily Stats365 Days
Retain Events30 Days

Thanks,

B

• Remote desktop to the SolarWinds server. Launch the Database Manager, and click on 'Add Default Server'. Once you see the database, you can right click to see properties and sort on the size. You will need to see what tables these are before you can truncate so as to not cause data integrity issues. To compact the database, you will need to install SQL Management Studio.

• Please keep in mind that SQLEXPRESS has limited maximum DB size.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to HolyGuacamole

Thanks HolyGuac, I was able to clear out the error before the weekend. Unfortunately, now it's extra angry and over 90% full. I will need to get off sqlexpress. If I wanted to keep the DB on the same server as the NPM would it be possible to create another database and import the old db into the new? Or backup, delete, and restore into correct database? Any tips you have here would be most appreciated.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to tomas.vymetal

Thank you for that most helpful tip.

Unfortunately, that information was not displayed where it would have been most helpful and that is during the installation process. I followed the directions/prerequisites and installed SQL 2008 Database, the Solarwinds installer did the rest and created the SQLEXPRESS database. Why it defaulted to that database, I don't know.

• If you choose the 'Express' install option as opposed to 'Advanced', the installer will install a local instance of SQL Express with a 10GB limit. If you installed a full version of SQL elsewhere or on the same machine, you might want to look for Microsoft instructions to backup and restore a database. After you restore the DB, you can start using the new DB instance. Alternatively, if you don't care about historical data, simply re-run the Configuration Wizard and you can choose the new DB instance.

Did you open the Database Manager as advised earlier to check which tables are taking up the most space?