15 Replies Latest reply on Jul 3, 2015 10:06 AM by Deltona

Sonar Scanning Wrong IP's

jharris30

I'm using Sonar for network discovery, have input all the ip ranges or subnets for the areas of our network I want to scan, and I'm seeing during the scan it's scanning IP's I've not setup for that scan.  At first I thought maybe it's doing this for whatever reason but the scan has been running much longer than I imagine it should.  Any ideas as to why it's scanning IP's I never setup for the scan? (10.x.x.x , privates IP's, I haven't setup to scan any of these, refer below)

2015-07-01_13-15-56.gif

• Re: Sonar Scanning Wrong IP's
          rharland2012

Any chance you entered a seed router as part of this discovery?

jharris30

I never thought about that.... One of the IP's could have this indeed, I'm just plugging in ranges to discover everything on certain subnets.  Any way to bypass this other than leave the IP out for the seed router?  Or anything else that might be causing this I can check as well?

rharland2012

Unless you specified a seed router (see attached image), it shouldn't auto-populate. Can you show the ranges (with identifying octets scrubbed out, of course)? I don't see a logical way that non-specified subnets/ranges would include things you didn't define.

seed.JPG

jharris30

This scan I used IP ranges, not Subnets, so plugged roughly 30 IP ranges into this portion, most of them are a /25 mask, some a /24 so there's not a real great deal of IP's in those ranges.  Is there any difference using ranges compared to subnets?  I've just started using this tool so I've been using both options to test.

rharland2012

I don't know the answer to that. Historically, I've used both - and the differences in result must have been minor, because I certainly don't remember them .

Let's try this - cancel that discovery if you're able.

Build a completely new discovery with just some subset of the ranges you want to grab - for example, just the subnet/range for your core routers/switches. Something that gives you a small result.

Is your result as expected then, or are these private subs still getting in there?

jharris30

Yea I had a test scan setup previously and was having similar problems.  So I ran it just to see, which is a /25 mask, so 62 usables, for example purposes lets say its 10.0.0.1 - 10.0.0.63.  I already know for a fact it will find 5 nodes in the range (1 router, 2 switches a server and a DRAC)  It scans those, current phase box fills up, nodes discovered says 5, then it keeps running and jumps to like this:

yea.gif

It's currently up to 226 nodes discovered and 17 subnets...