This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Reporting on Group Uptime - SAM

Hi Everyone,

I have been using Solarwinds Server & Application Monitor to monitor my systems for a while now, and enjoyed it so far.

I am required report on the percentage uptime of services to provide management on a monthly basis - catch is, the report needs to advise on uptime of services in general (ie not windows services) rather than specific nodes or application monitors.

For example consider an environment with several domain controllers. The "service" that I need to report on is "user authentication". The service is up as long as at least one node/application (ADDS) is running.

Other services have different requirements, ie component A must be up, as well as at least one of component B, C or D for the service to be considered up (ie load balanced web servers sharing a single database).

I have started using groups to represent services by adding the application monitors - is this the best approach?

Secondly, is it possible to write SWQL queries to apply the above logic, and then report on those queries in a historical manner?

Thanks, I have searched the web for answers for my questions but haven't had any luck so I have turned to the experts!

Dan

• This is something that is very difficult to automate and effectively do with SolarWinds, whereas with SCOM every single object availability is easily available and I can create a report on any combination of these objects dynamically every month Below is one I do for Oracle and related Apache services for a group of servers.

I wish SolarWinds had a way to do this as easily as SCOM.My clients in SolarWinds get crappy reports, while my SCOM clients get clean accurate verifiable availability reports. (The blue border boxes are hiding server names btw.)

scom-vs-solarorwinds-avaialbility-2015.jpg

• Thanks for your reply.

SCOM looks great, I believe we are considering an implementation in future and will utilize this functionality to achieve my availability reports.

Thanks again.