3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2015 11:23 AM by brianflynn

SRM Profiler and SRM Orion

rcdavid

Would be great if somone could summarize the Product Roadmap of both of these products.  Which product includes what? - What is the best way to integrate the products together and if one will eventually replace the other?  Lots of info out there but nothing that really ties up the loose ends... Ex.  SRM Profiler used to be called STM and allows you to add and monitor Physical Servers such as Windows, Linux, HP and also add and monitor Virtual Servers/Guests, VMWare ESX, Virtual Center + Storage, NAS, File Analysis, SAN Switches, etc.. - SRM Orion includes (insert here) and is better for managing Storage arrays, NAS, Isilon,VPLEX, etc... Which is better for what, etc..? AND How do I get the best out of both products or do I even need both? - Especially If I already have SRM Profiler fully configured and working?

• Re: SRM Profiler and SRM Orion

Hi Ralph, Good question.  I wonder if this post has the information that you need regarding differences and roadmap.  If not, happy to get you any details that it's lacking.

Dreams Come True - Storage on Orion is now in Release Candidate!

rcdavid

Good info Brian,

I had already read the post + it is a little dated from Feb. 2015. Also the post doesn't seem to cover in depth - Host monitoring (Physical, HP, Linux, Windows, Virtual Center, VM Guests) File analysis, Reporting , SAN Switches & Alerting) Functionality we use very heavily that I think are big benefits that we have added into our SRM - Profiler environment and use on a daily basis. A little easier for me to understand since we had STM before the change to SRM Profiler and SRM Orion. It seems that things could be confusing for those who have not yet implemented or are thinking about which one for their environment. Maybe it's just me... I'm a current user/implementor of STM (SRM Profiler) and have even evaluated the SRM - Orion product.  Other than a different look, not sure what benefit SRM - Orion brings to our environment.  Maybe integration and a different look feel - better for a wider variety of disk arrays and vendors?

OK, I understand.  Well from my perspective, the primary advantage of SRM Orion, is the AppStack.  Our goal is to have such a seamless integration between products that they behave as one product to solve real world, multi-silo problems.  For example, being able to quickly identify an Application performing poorly is doing so because the application is querying a database and the database is stalled by storage performance.  Going from the application through the database to the storage is easier in Orion when you have multiple products integrated, because of the AppStack.  This feature can be particularly useful when a problem is easily visible in one layer but not (yet) in another layer.  This is especially helpful when the root cause of the problem is in a layer that doesn't appear to have a problem from a surface level glance.