This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Unable to link Virtualization Manager to NPM

FormerMember
FormerMember

Hello,

Can someone please tell me how to link virtualization manager to NPM? After I installed vman I see "To set up the integration, install the VIM (Virtual Infrastructure Monitor) module. The integration wizard is launched when you run the web console after installation." but that is not helpful at all. After some digging I found I had to log into NPM and go to Settings>Setup Virtual Manager Integration. This is where I am having a problem, I enter my IP/Credentials of the VMan server and no matter what I am unable to connect to the specified address. Getting frustrated with this product, if someone can help me out getting this resolved that would be great.

Thanks!

B

• Hi borongas

This is an uncommon situation that can arise under a few circumstances. Below are some possible reasons, and solutions

1. Certificate Hashing issue
      • If the Orion install (NPM/SAM) wasn't a fresh install and was upgraded from a previous version, it could be a certification hashing issue.

Run mmc console on Orion server

b.      File > Add/Remove Snap-ins

c.       Choose Certificates > Computer account > Local computer > Finish > Ok

d.      Expand the Personal > Certificates. There is a “SolarWinds-Orion” certificate > Open Details tab and check “Signature hash algorithm”.

If there is a MD5, then follow the steps in the KB below

http://knowledgebase.solarwinds.com/kb/questions/6214/After+upgrading+to+version+6.2,+the+integration+between+Virtualization+Manager+and+the+Orion+server+stops+working

2. Name resolution issues

-        SSH to Virtualization Manager with credentials root / Appl!@nce

• Or as admin/admin and run su - command and supply the root password above

-      Edit the /etc/hosts file and add an entry for the Orion server IP 

-        Re-try the integration

3. Windows Firewall

• Temporarily disable the windows firewall if turned on. Virtualization Manager pushes data to Orion on port 17778
    • Re-try the integration
  • FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to HolyGuacamole

Hello, thank you for the reply!

1. This was a new fresh installation. It's using sha1 not MD5.

2. I changed /etc/hosts file, still cannot link NPM with Vman.

3. Windows firewall was disabled from the start.

I have a ticket open for this, sent them diagnostic info and waiting on a reply. If you have anything else for me to try in the mean time please let me know.

Thanks!

B

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

FIXED IT!

It was the network proxy that messed things up, removed that and good things started happening. My bad, thanks for the help!

Cheers,

B

• Excellent! Hope to see a 'solarwinds rocks.jpg' very soon :)

Btw. Where exactly did you change these proxy settings?

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to HolyGuacamole

Internet explorer>Internet Options>Connections Tab>LAN Settings>

Cheers,

B