5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 23, 2015 9:25 AM by edavis@mdsol.com

Netflow and Correlation with NPM Interface Stats

edavis@mdsol.com

I am seeing a big disconnect between my NPM interface bandwidth stats and my Netfllow stats for conversations on the same interface.  For instance, I might see an interface is utilizing %95 of its bandwidth and naturally I want to see which host/hosts are using the highest amount of that %95.  My problem is that NTA seems to show more bandwidth being used in a conversation than is actually available on an interface.  For an interface that only has 50Mbps, I should not see 2 hosts in a conversation using more than 50Mbps right?  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Eric

• Re: Netflow and Correlation with NPM Interface Stats
          Craig Norborg

Well, first off, you can see a pretty big disconnect on the SNMP polled stats vs. the Netflow stats.  That's because the polled stats are probably showing the average over 5-9 minutes, depending on how you have your polling set up, where the Netflow stats should be showing more immediate results, depending on how you have it configured.

With Netflow there are a few things you need to consider.  The first is how often your router is set up to send Netflow stats to Orion.   If you don't configure it, your router might wait until the flow ends before sending statistics on that flow.   So, lets say someone opens up a FTP connection for a half Gb of data, and it transfers over a 10Mbps link, which would take about 400 seconds if my quick math is right (assuming nothing else is on the link).   So, if Netflow waits to send the fact that a half gig of traffic was done until the end, it would look as if the half gig of data was transferred all at once for the most part.   But you know you can't get a half gig of data across a 10Mbps link immediately so something has to be wrong.  If you set up timeouts on the flow traffic, lets say like this:

ip flow-cache timeout inactive 45

ip flow-cache timeout active 1

The "inactive" timeouts are in seconds, while the "active" flow timeouts are 1 minute.   So, instead of netflow sending a single record after 400 seconds, it would send at least 6 updates each saying it sent a part of the half Gb of data.  Much more accurate.

Its also possible that you don't have things set up quite right either.   From what I understand, you should have it set up for "ip flow ingress" ONLY on all interfaces of a given router, or if there are only a couple interfaces traffic is going across, you could choose one of them and do both "ip flow ingress" and "ip flow egress" on one interface.  Otherwise you can see double the traffic.

If this doesn't answer your question, maybe you can post your netflow configs on your devices?

• Re: Netflow and Correlation with NPM Interface Stats
              edavis@mdsol.com

Craig,

You are 2 for 2.  I will post my config here.  I think you have answered my question, but I want to just show my config to verify.

interface Loopback0

description <<<Loopback Address for Management>>>

ip address 10.44.250.5 255.255.255.255

no ip redirects

no ip unreachables

ip directed-broadcast

no ip proxy-arp

ip flow ingress

!

interface Tunnel100

bandwidth 21000

ip address 10.252.2.9 255.255.254.0