This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Issues Authenticating with a Smart Card

Hi all,

I am having issues authenticating to a client machine. I am using Dameware Mini Remote Control version 7.5.9.1. I have attached a picture so you can see the exact error I am receiving. I can log onto the remote machine via the Windows NT Challenge/ Response option. It won't seem to authenticate the smart card for whatever reason. I have checked for the DWRCSS.dll in %systemroot%\DWRCS on the local and remote machines. It is in both locations. Any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

DAmeware error.PNG

• Hi,

You should try the following:

1. Logon to client computer and check if "Smart Card  Service" is running. It is a common issue: Smart Card Login Authentication Fails

2. Try "Remote Desktop" using Smart Card to the client machine. If RDP is not working there should be and issue with Smart Card driver on the client computer.

• Hi jan.turon,

I logged onto the client machine and the Smart Card service is running. I was also able to use RDP to get into the machine via  smart card log on. I'm not sure what this could mean as I'm not very familiar with Dameware. Any further advice would be appreciated. Thanks for your help.

• If Smart Card via RDP is working the Smart Card drivers for the card itself are OK. There is probably an issue with DameWare, its configuration or DameWare virtual driver.

1. Check if the file and printer sharing is enabled on the remote machine.

2. Are both computers part of the same domain?

3. Try to reinstall the MRC service on the remote machine.

- If you are using the remote installation from MRC console "File > Install Service" check if the installer package is properly configured.

- Run the MRC Client Agent MSI Builder with administrative rights and check if "Install smart card driver" is enabled. Click Build MSI.

- Go to the MRC console and click "File > Install Service"

- If there is an MRC service you need to remove it before

• Sorry it took me so long to get back to you.

1.File and Printer sharing isn't enabled on our machines due to security policy but the Dameware mini remote control is allowed through the proper ports for TCP and UDP.

2. Yes both computers are part of the same domain

3.I reinstalled the MRC service on the remote machine and it still comes up with the same error.

My thinking is what file is Dameware looking for? At the bottom of that first error I posted it states "the system cannot find the file specified"

• 1.File and Printer sharing isn't enabled on our machines due to security policy but the Dameware mini remote control is allowed through the proper ports for TCP and UDP.

2. Yes both computers are part of the same domain

3.I reinstalled the MRC service on the remote machine and it still comes up with the same error.

My thinking is what file is Dameware looking for? At the bottom of that first error I posted it states "the system cannot find the file specified"

Any further input would be appreciated with this issue. I am able to access the machines via the windows NT challenge / response using the current logon credentials. OF course this leaves us with the issue of not having admin credentials on the machines.

• API error.JPGMore information, I was digging into the windows log and saw the error's for Dameware in the application log

• Same problem here on two of our servers. Error same as picture OP provided.

• Cannot login remotely with smart card via Dameware.
    • Can login through RDP with smart card  - however that only gets me to the point that I have to enter in login info again, and it will not accept smart card. It looks like it would accept username/password but I can't test that as we are required to use the smart card. It did previously work fine with name/password - before our smart card requirement was implemented.
    • Can login physically with smart card
    • Have rebooted server
    • Both physically and remotely, via both RDP and Dameware, works for all my other servers. Just 2 that will not work.
    • All servers running same O/S (Server 2008 r2), and all only 2-5 years old.

Any ideas?

• error message.GIFI am also suddenly experiencing this issue, but with a slightly different error message. 

• Try the following:

1. Go to gpedit.msc
    2. Local Computer Policy >> Computer Configuration >> Windows Settings >> Security Settings >> Local Policies >> Security Options 
    3. Go to “Network security: Restrict NTLM: Incoming traffic” then click on Properties. 
    4. Click on the drop-down menu then choose “Allow all”. Click Apply then OK.