5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2015 7:45 AM by juniordev

Build Dynamic Query Filtering Groups

juniordev

Hi,

We can build dynamic query (node, interface etc.) for groups. But there is no option about group/container object filter. Is it possible build dynamic query filtering groups, just like GroupName like '%WAN%'. If not, maybe I do it by feature request.

PS: I work on NPM 11.5.2

• Re: Build Dynamic Query Filtering Groups
          Jan Pelousek

Hello, for performance reasons there is allowed only static selection of the groups on the website. And as far as I know we don't plan that as it's really risky. You can for sure workaround the Website by creating the filter via Group verbs and I believe it will work, but be careful.

H.

juniordev

Hi Diner,

I just want to build dynamic query like that. Can you give me a sample filter what i write? I want to see about performance situations.

Are below filters right combinations?

filter:/Orion.Groups[Contains(Description, 'WAN')]

or

filter:/Orion.NPM.Groups[CustomProperties.UnitID='71' AND Contains(Description,'LAN')]

Jan Pelousek

Hi the second is invalid as Orion.NPM.Groups entity doesn't exist. E.g. for interfaces you create the filters like filter:/Orion.NPM.Interfaces[Contains(CustomProperties.Comments,'fgh') AND Contains(FullName,'ju')]...The same principle is with Orion.Groups.However please note this is really unsupported and recommended. One of the reasons is, that static definitions you can validate for recursion and thus reject creation when cycle is made. This is not possible for the dynamic condition and so you can make cycle in the definitions, which will make really serious overhead on the Information Service Containers plugin.

H.

carl.stinson

Similarly in NCM, is it possible to build dynamic queries for groups that reference group membership (or non-membership) of other groups ?

TIA!

juniordev

I tried to below filter clause and successfully created group with dynamic filtering. I have no idea about performance or risk situation but this works.

filter:/Orion.Groups[Contains(Description, 'WAN') AND Contains(Description, 'B')]