This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

BIND and IPAM Issue

Hi all,

I'm trying to set up IPAM to manage my BIND (chroot) server on CentOS 6.5, but this error constantly appears when I try to add a DNS Zone: "Copying File to source path from temporary path is failed".

The user that runs BIND is running as root and is in the root group as well. I have followed the steps listed in the knowledge base article: SolarWinds Knowledge Base :: IPAM Bind error 'Syntax Error in BIND configuration'‌‌.

I have attached the debug log if it helps to determine the problem.

Does anyone have solutions for this problem?

Thank you.

Jared

• I realize this is an old question, but I was running into the same problem.  After a lot of troubleshooting I finally figure it out.  The problem was the way IPAM is trying to 'backup' some of the files.  It issues the command:

cp -r -u -f -b -S.backup -p "/tmp/SolarWinds/IPAM"/* "/"

The "-p" option says to preserve timestamps and ownership.  This was failing because the user-id that IPAM was using was not the owner of the directories where some of the files existed.  If you manually run the command you will get something like:

cp: failed to preserve ownership for `/etc/named.conf': Operation not permitted

The problem is to use the -p option for a non-root user-id you have to own the file and, it seems, the directory it is located in.  Even if the user-id is in the root group, their user-id still must be the owner user-id.  In our case the directories were:

/etc (this is where named.conf resides)

/var

/var/named (this is where all of our zone files resided)

Once we set these folders to be owned by the IPAM user-id everything worked fine.