This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

How would I determine if our organization uses a centralized server?

We used to be able to DameWare MRC (V9) connect to other user's laptops using their ) username (same as W7 computer name) or the IP they currently have on the corporate VPN.

Some times, if the user recently got on VPN, the username wouldn't work so the IP had to be used. (Likely something disseminating the username through the systems.)

When the username used to work users connected using Cisco's VPN client.

In late March corporate switched to use SSL VPN (Juniper Networks) and since then the username can't be used to access a user's laptop. Instead, only the IP works.

Is there some DameWare MRC change that must happen to allow username connection with SSL VPN and what changes must be performed?

Or might this be something with our organization's centralized server miss-interacting with the SSL VPN, and how would I even tell if our organization uses a centralized server?

All computers I connect to with MRC have MS Exchange usernames (same as the computer name) but the users work remotely and connect via VPN and their laptops are not within the corporate AD domain.

• When you say uses a Centralized Server, what do you mean?  Do you mean DameWare Central Server? 

Can you ping the machine name from the command line?  When they connect via VPN are they getting a DNS server?

• I guess DameWare Central Server (DCS) is what I mean. Is that maintained within our corporate network or elsewhere?

Ping which machine name from which command line? I don't know if you want me to ping the DCS or some other machine, and because I don't know we have a DCS how would I know its name?

You mean I should execute the ping from my machine's command prompt, or is there some command line within MRC I don't know about?

I'm sure corporate maintains a DNS for servers within the network. The users are likely using DNS provided by their ISP. My servers appear to be within our LAN for secondary (I don't operate out of corporate) and primary is our ISP.

P.S. I don't count your response as an answer because you only asked questions. Sorry I didn't respond sooner, but I didn't get a notification anyone had responded to my question.

• Sorry, I thought your answer was marked as correct, not that pushing that button marked it as correct. (The text should read Mark as correct answer.)