This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

APC Config Updates and Download

I did a search and was unable to find anything within the last year. Has anyone been able to successfully get NCM to download and modify the configs on APC devices? This is the only thing stopping us from getting rid of struxurware.

Smart-UPS 1500

UPS Network Management Card 2

Thanks!

• If that's the menu-based beast, it might not be possible or worth the effort. See Re: APC UPS Device Template and Re: Anyone using NCM to manage APC Smart-UPS configs?.

Jiri

• There is a GUI but we do all of the configuration from the command line. I am able to SSH into the devices.

• Ok, can you show me a screenshot of the SSH login session and config download command?

Jiri

• Guess I should not have said download configs. I thought there was a method to do this but it appears not. If we could just get it to accept commands to make mass changes that would be great. An example command would be "system -l none"

This is the login

login as: apc

apc@10.10.12.146's password:

American Power Conversion               Network Management Card AOS      v6.2.1

(c) Copyright 2015 All Rights Reserved  Smart-UPS & Matrix-UPS APP       v6.2.1

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Name      : preston                      Date : 06/10/2015

Contact   : O                                         Time : 10:45:47

Location  : none                                      User : Super User

Up Time   : 36 Days 18 Hours 51 Minutes               Stat : P+ N+ A+

Type ? for command listing

Use tcpip command for IP address(-i), subnet(-s), and gateway(-g)

apc>

• Another option would be to download and upload the config via FTP, while not the most secure way there are not a lot of options with APC devices and they still have SSL issues with the web interface that they don't plan to patch at all.

I'm not a big fan of the SSH menu command lines, but I could see it working.

We have APC UPS, Netbotz environmental monitors, and APC Netbotz HID-X cabinet access controllers. Currently we manage them individually (Huge Pain), so I understand why it would be great to be able to manage from NCM instead and create some scripts to make mass changes.

By the way how difficult is it to setup struxurware? Is it licensed per managed node?

• Struxurware is not difficult to setup but the version we are on has some security vulnerabilities that we are unable to address without a major upgrade. I was asked to check to see if we could bring the features we use in Struxurware into Solarwinds. I think I have everything covered with the exception of the times we need to do a mass config update. Luckily Solarwinds support is attempting to provide me with a solution.  We have not come up with one as of yet but are actively working to see why the NCM connection keeps failing.

Does solarwinds have a way to connect to a large number of devices and auto pull down ftp files? I am googling but figured I would ask how you are managing this process.

• I don't think so, but I'll check my configurations. I may have done with with Kiwi in the past. I was planning do download via a central FTP server with some jobs and then kick back the scripted changes. It's amazing how sparse support is for environmental devices.

• I was able to work with solarwinds support to create a device template that will now allow me to make configuration changes to our UPS devices. I just want to come back here to share in case others will find this of use.

APC Web Management Card-1.3.6.1.4.1.318.1.3.27.ConfigMgmt-Commands

• This did not work properly under NCM 7.6 with an AP9631 card v6.2.1 that uses the proper SystemOID. It will pass the connection test on the Edit Node/Edit Properties page for the device. But when downloading the running config, I get

Connectivity issues, discarding configuration

An inspection of the template shows that it is basically a Cisco template, expecting to do Cisco commands, like config terminal, show running and show startup.