16 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2015 3:43 PM by tdanner

How can I add nodes from two separate NPM servers to one NCM server

scottfraley

...when I'm relitively certain that the NodeIDs WILL conflict / possibly be duplicated ?

Any thoughts / help on this appreciated!

• Re: How can I add nodes from two separate NPM servers to one NCM server
          tdanner

You can't specify the NodeID when adding a node, so there is no danger of conflict/duplication of NodeID values.

What versions are you moving from/to?

scottfraley

Our current NPM version is apparently 11.0.1, and NCM 7.3.2 is running on those NPM servers (because some version of it has to from what I'm told).

However, we're testing NPM 11.5, so I guess it would be NPM 11.5 (or 11.0.1) to NCM server 7.3.2. Our production servers are running 11.0.1, and as I said above, we're testing NPM 11.5 on a 'nonprod' server.

Your statement confuses me though. Looking at my AddNodeToNCM() method, (which of course calls the */Solarwinds/InformationService/v3/json/Invoke/Cirrus.Nodes/AddNodeToNCM verb) it appears that the payload / body data is simply "[<NodeID>]" (a json array containing the integer node id).

This runs as part of a console app I've written to programmatically add Node(s)/Interface(s) to the appropriate NPM server, then to 'let the NCM server know about it' so to speak. As far as I know, it's been working fine in tests, thus my confusion over your statement that I don't/can't add NodeIDs to NCM.

In fact, here's a snippet from my debug log:
              18-Mar-2015 22:03:22.9480 DEBUG AddNodeToNCM(): Calling
              18-Mar-2015 22:03:22.9520 DEBUG AddNodeToNCM(): Uri: |https://lsdorionnonprod:17778/Solarwinds/InformationService/v3/json/Invoke/Cirrus.Nodes/AddNodeToNCM|
              18-Mar-2015 22:03:22.9550 DEBUG AddNodeToNCM(): Payload: /[471]/
              18-Mar-2015 22:03:23.6429 DEBUG AddNodeToNCM(): response: 0fe0012a-e831-49e8-a20f-e240fddcd8b5
              18-Mar-2015 22:03:23.6449 DEBUG AddNodeToNCM(): Done

In case that has any bearing on the facts (/what you're trying to tell me.) 

Jan Pelousek

Hello, for this purpose there exists sample script, which is bundled with your SDK installation. It's by default located in c:\Program Files (x86)\SolarWinds\Orion SDK\Samples\PowerShell\CopyNodes.ps1 . This will copy the nodes from one orion to another. Copies Nodes, Volumes(when enabled in script), Intefaces(when enabled in script) aand the pollers. There's one limitation, that it can't copy WMI nodes. Please go through the script. I believe this can possibly suit your needs

scottfraley

I don't think this is what I'm looking for as I'm just trying to 'let NCM know, so that it can track/handle/deal with the specified Node' that's been added to either of our two NPM servers.

(Perhaps 'Add Nodes' was a bad way to put it.)

Thanks,

Scott

tdanner

The function of "AddNodeToNCM" is to take a node that is already in Orion (in the Nodes table) and enable it for config/NCM monitoring. From the way you describe your setup, it sounds like you have three Orion databases - two with just NPM and one with just NCM. Is that accurate?

scottfraley

Essentially, yes. As I mentioned, I've heard that there are 'mini-versions' (or whatever the official term is) of NCM running on both of the NPM servers because it has to, but our "main" NCM server is now one, rather than two, which they did for several reasons. I can get you those reasons later today if need be, although I'm pretty sure the main reason was so that they could do configuration tasks against BOTH of the NPM servers (or the Nodes being tracked by same) in one place.

tdanner

The node has to exist in the nodes table (Orion.Nodes) on the NCM server before you can use AddNodeToNCM to enable NCM management of that node. The script Diner referred to above (CopyNodes.ps1) can be used to copy the node from the NPM server where it is configured now to the NCM server.

scottfraley

Good to know. Will need to have a discussion with our SME once he's back from Vaca. May be back then with other questions.

Thanks Tim!

scottfraley

Okay, I checked our NCM database and it's got plenty of nodes in its dbo.Nodes table, but what we are missing are the custom properties that we have set up on our two NPM servers.

Is there a simple way to 'export' the Custom Properties .. data/tables/whatever we need from one of our NPM servers and then 'import' them into the db on the single NCM server?

tdanner

Yes. There are two steps: copying the custom property definitions and copying the data.

Copying the definitions: if you have a relatively small number of custom properties, you can just manually create properties on the target system to match the properties on the source system. If the number of properties is large enough to make this a burden, we can look at scripting it.

Copying the data: the Manage Custom Properties page (/Orion/Admin/CPE/Default.aspx) has toolbar buttons for exporting custom property data to a .CSV file. On the source system, use this to export the data for the properties you want to transfer. Include the IP_Address column - you'll need that during the import step. On the target system, use the Import Values button to import the CSV file.

scottfraley

Excellent!

Well, we have probably 15-20, so scripting it would be great. I had been thinking about creating SQL Server 'Script As/To' script(s) for the tables, but I realized that while I think I've figured out which tables contain this data, I'm not 100% sure, thus checking with you. 

Not sure if I should ask this separately, but here goes. Given what you've said, it sounds like if we want to have a two(+) NPM with one single NCM server setup, we'll need to keep the NCM server's Nodes table records synchronized with the NPM servers tables (Nodes, Interfaces) data, correct?  And if so, is there a relatively simple way to do that?

Thanks again!

tdanner

SWQL query to find the current node custom properties (run this on the source system):

SELECT Field, DataType, MaxLength, Description
                                                FROM Orion.CustomProperty
                                                WHERE TargetEntity='Orion.NodesCustomProperties'

To create a custom property on the target system (in PowerShell), do this:

Invoke-SwisVerb -Swis $target Orion.NodesCustomProperties CreateCustomProperty @($field, $description, $dataType, $maxLength, "", "", "", "", "", "")

As for syncing nodes between systems, personally I would rather not. I would try to find a way to combine into a single system with however many polling engines it takes. But if you do want to sync nodes between separate systems, I would start with the CopyNodes.ps1 script and edit from there.

andrewkonopik

Tdanner,

Regarding your custom properties proposed solution. I am getting the following error when attempting to run the CODE LISTED BELOW:

Invoke-SwisVerb : An error occurred when verifying security for the message.

At line:1 char:1

+ Invoke-SwisVerb -Swis $swis Orion.NodesCustomProperties CreateCustomProperty @($ ...

+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (:) [Invoke-SwisVerb], MessageSecurityException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : SwisError,SwisPowerShell.InvokeSwisVerb

==============================================================================================================================

Here is the code:

$CustomeProperties=Import-Csv ".\CustomPros.csv"
                                                    For($i=0;$i -le $CustomeProperties.Length - 1;$i++)
                                                    {
                                                    $Table+=@($CustomeProperties[$i].Table)
                                                    $Field+=@($CustomeProperties[$i].Field)
                                                    $DataType+=@($CustomeProperties[$i].DataType)
                                                    $MaxLength+=@($CustomeProperties[$i].MaxLength)
                                                    $StorageMethod+=@($CustomeProperties[$i].StorageMethod)
                                                    $Description+=@($CustomeProperties[$i].Description)
                                                    $TargetEntity+=@($CustomeProperties[$i].TargetEntity)
                                                    }

Add-PSSnapin SwisSnapin -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue
                                                    $creds=Get-Credential
                                                    $swis = Connect-Swis –Credential $creds
                                                    Invoke-SwisVerb -Swis $swis Orion.NodesCustomProperties CreateCustomProperty @($Table, $Field, $DataType, $MaxLength, $StorageMethod,$Description, $TargetEntity) 

==============================================================================================================================

******************** TIME ON THIS SYSTEM IS SYNC'ED ACCURATELY WITH DC ***************************************

This script was ran on a server which has NPM 11.0 and SDK 1.10 (SWQL) Installed.

Please advise.

Thanks,

Andrew

tdanner

If you are running it on the NPM server, you can just use the -Certificate parameter to Connect-Swis instead of prompting for credentials.

andrewkonopik

Sorry, that did not work. Please suggest any alternative way to solve this issue. I have months of work pending...

You input is appreciated very much!

Thanks,

Dre

tdanner

Looking at this again a month later, I noticed something in your script that seems strange. You are looping over a list of custom properties from the csv file, building up one variable for each parameter of CreateCustomProperty as a list of values, then making one call to CreateCustomProperty passing the list of lists. This verb creates one custom property per call. It won't know what to do when each argument is a list. Here's how I would do it:

Add-PSSnapin SwisSnapin -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue
                                                                $creds=Get-Credential
                                                                $swis = Connect-Swis –Credential $creds 

$CustomeProperties=Import-Csv ".\CustomPros.csv"
                                                                For($i=0;$i -le $CustomeProperties.Length - 1;$i++)
                                                                {
                                                                     $Table = $CustomeProperties[$i].Table
                                                                     $Field = $CustomeProperties[$i].Field
                                                                     $DataType = $CustomeProperties[$i].DataType
                                                                     $MaxLength = $CustomeProperties[$i].MaxLength
                                                                     $StorageMethod = $CustomeProperties[$i].StorageMethod
                                                                     $Description = $CustomeProperties[$i].Description
                                                                     $TargetEntity = $CustomeProperties[$i].TargetEntity
                                                                     Invoke-SwisVerb -Swis $swis Orion.NodesCustomProperties CreateCustomProperty @($Table, $Field, $DataType, $MaxLength, $StorageMethod,$Description, $TargetEntity) 
                                                                }

One call to CreateCustomProperty per row in the csv file.