This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Is DPA 9.2 of any value over 9.1 for non-Orion users?

I don't see anything other than Orion integration in the 9.2 release notes. Is there any value to downloading and installing 9.2 if I don't have any other Solarwinds products aside from DPA?

Thanks,

Mark

• The focus of DPA 9.2 was integration with Orion to produce a tool that facilitated collaboration and sharing among IT silos to solve application performance problems that may relate to database performance.  All the features for this release are in the Orion interface.  Below is a quote from a customer that perfectly encapsulates the value I believe a DPA user should expect from integration with Server & Application Monitor (SAM).  In layman's terms, it enables a DPA user to facilitate a little self-service analysis to users of SAM who inquire about database performance to DPA users.

"Database Performance Analyzer integration with SAM will allow our Database team to share information on databases which will hopefully reduce the amount of call outs.  Application Support will now be able to see if the issue is caused by database performance issues or application design flaws."

• P.S.  You can read a story that illustrates how this would work here : Announcing DPA 9.2 GA : Is it the Application or the Database?.

If you want to explore that for yourself, take a look at this AppInsight for IIS integrated with Database Performance Analyzer: http://systems.demo.solarwinds.com/Orion/APM/IisBlackBox/IisApplicationDetails.aspx?NetObject=ABIA:267.

Notice the ASP.NET resource detailing the performance of web requests and DPA's Query Response Time resource right by it's side.  It's a great way to quickly and visually identify if a problem you're experiencing could reasonably be caused by the database.

• I have no issue with the 9.2 release being totally dedicated to this integration. I just didn't want to make my operations folks download and install it if it wouldn't benefit us as we don't have Orion. It sounds like we'll wait for 9.3. Thanks!