8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 5, 2015 7:28 AM by clubjuggle

Universal Device Poller

msfadmin

So I have created 7 pollers, and assigned them to my UPS nodes.  However is there a way to create a "new" group under the All Defined Pollers, besides Default Group and Example.

2nd part of this, so if it's possible to create a new group and have my pollers under it, when I go to my Orion, Summary home page, I select my Group of my UPS units, and on my details of my group, I want to pull in my pollers into one resource instead of 7 different resources.

Is any of this possible?

Thanks,

• Re: Universal Device Poller
          d09h

On the very first screen when creating a UDP you can just type the name of the new group you would like (instead of selecting Default or Example).

Via Report Writer, the poller 'Group Name' can be used as a criteria.

msfadmin

the first part worked as suggested.  now within my group of nodes on the details page, I add a custom view, and i'm trying to add now my new "group" of pollers, is there a way to do that.  which custom view do I need to select?  so I've got my 2 UPS units, I've got 7 pollers, and want to view both the UPS's and the results of the pollers in one custom view.

d09h

Probably doable via SWQL, but try Report Writer as I suggested.

Current Status of Nodes, Interfaces, etc.

When you right click anywhere in the filter results tab, choose Custom Pollers --> Custom Node Pollers --> Group Name.

Choose the group you created in your UDP.

Does that work for you?

Disclaimer--I usually force myself to go with a SWQL report or something natively supported via the web.  But the above approach should work for you.  Create a report...save it.  Add that report to a view.  I'm on NPM 10.7, so not sure if your version acts any different.

clubjuggle

As an alternative, if you have SAM in addition to NPM, you might also consider monitoring the UPS performance as an application (such as with the APC UPS - Updated template). This will streamline alerting and also ease view management. I find this a lot easier to manage than a bunch of UnDPs.

msfadmin

I do have SAM and NPM, however I have EATON units.  I haven't found a template such as the APC one you mentioned

d09h

If you know the OID, you can use SAM via a component monitor (type SNMP Monitor).  You specify OID/ Get vs GetNext.  If you specify thresholds too, you can have yellow icon if over warning temperature and red if over critical temperature (substitute voltage or whatever units for the metric involved).  One other advantage to the SAM approach.

Re: showing Universal Device Poller temperature with an down / warning icon or even red/ yellow color

dhanson

Greetings,

So what I built for myself was based on the specific poller names. Still trying to work out how we could do this and populate based on the poller group name to simplify the configuration, but this works. You have 7 UnDP's you want to poll, so this gets a little long.

Replace POLLERNAME# (lines 1 and 2, and the 4th line in each of the subqueries) with the appropriate names of the 7 UnDP's you currently have. This is in SWQL, so you can throw it into a custom SWQL query on your summary page. Make sure you use the exact names from the UnDP's themselves.

SELECT n.Caption AS NodeName, a.Status AS [POLLERNAME1], b.Status AS [POLLERNAME2], c.Status AS [POLLERNAME3],
                          d.status AS [POLLERNAME4],e.Status AS [POLLERNAME5],f.Status AS [POLLERNAME6],g.Status AS [POLLERNAME7]
                          FROM Orion.Nodes AS n
                          INNER JOIN
                          (
                            SELECT a.NodeID, c.Status
                            FROM Orion.NPM.CustomPollerStatus c
                            INNER JOIN Orion.NPM.CustomPollerAssignment a ON a.CustomPollerAssignmentID = c.CustomPollerAssignmentID
                            WHERE AssignmentName LIKE '%POLLERNAME1%'
                          ) AS a ON a.NodeID = n.NodeID
                          INNER JOIN
                          (
                            INNER JOIN Orion.NPM.CustomPollerAssignment a ON a.CustomPollerAssignmentID = c.CustomPollerAssignmentID
                            WHERE AssignmentName LIKE '%POLLERNAME2%'
                          ) AS b ON b.NodeID = n.NodeID
                          INNER JOIN
                          (
                            WHERE AssignmentName LIKE '%POLLERNAME3%'
                          ) AS c ON c.NodeID = n.NodeID
                          INNER JOIN
                          (
                            WHERE AssignmentName LIKE '%POLLERNAME4%'
                          ) AS d ON d.NodeID = n.NodeID
                          INNER JOIN
                          (
                            WHERE AssignmentName LIKE '%POLLERNAME5%'
                          ) AS e ON e.NodeID = n.NodeID
                          INNER JOIN
                          (
                            WHERE AssignmentName LIKE '%POLLERNAME6%'
                          ) AS f ON f.NodeID = n.NodeID
                          INNER JOIN
                          (
                            WHERE AssignmentName LIKE '%POLLERNAME7%'
                          ) AS g ON g.NodeID = n.NodeID

I'll see if we can simplify this with using the Custom Poller Group Names, but no promises.

Note - If you want to keep this SWQL, the query above is your best bet. If you can do this as SQL and call out a custom report, then look into using PIVOT tables based on CustomPollers.GroupName. Sorry, I don't have the time to figure that query out right now, but hopefully this'll point you in the right direction.

HTH!

-Dan

clubjuggle

I didn't find one that fit my needs either, so I wrote that one. You just build a new application template with SNMP component monitors that monitor the same OIDs as you would use in the Universal Device Pollers, and define your default thresholds within each component monitor. When you're done, you can optionally export the template and upload it here to share with others.

The advantage of this is that the pollers are all then packaged into one application, making it easier to add them to nodes and roll up faults for alerting.