This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Node Import - Compatibility between different Orion Core Versions

Hi,

We are looking at creating a script to import the objects (Nodes, Interfaces and Volumes) between an Orion instance running an old version 10.1 and a new instance running the latest 11.5.1.

Can anyone confirm if there are any issues with using the API to achieve this i.e. will a single script allow a connection to the old version as the source and insert them into the new installation, as per the sample script and documented in this blog - How to automate the creation of Orion Platform (aka Core) nodes from the API

Otherwise it will be a CSV import method, which is obviously not as neat.

thanks

• That script was designed for moving nodes between Orion systems running the same version of the platform. The trouble with moving between different versions (especially a gap as wide as 10.1 and 11.5.1) is that the names of the pollers in the Pollers table have changed.

• Hi Tim,

And that is something that cannot be catered for in the script using a single version of the SDK I take it?

Will have to output to external XML file and then import from that I see as best approach then..

Mark

• A single version of the SDK can connect to NPM 10.1 and 11.5.1, but you would need a script that knows the mapping between the poller names used by those two versions.

Have you considered just cloning the 10.1 database and upgrading it? That might be easier than script-based data migration.

• Problem with cloning the database is having a brand new server and upgrading multiple times, which will always leave orphaned files/registry settings etc., cleaning of a database where customers ask us for fresh installations with no historic data to be migrated (yes this is sometimes the insistent requirement).

This was a case of determining the effort so we can decide the time/value for the various methods of achieving an object only migration.

thanks for your answers