2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 26, 2015 2:24 PM by kellytice

Patch Manager Trial

kjstech

I downloaded the 30 day trial of Patch Manager.  I have an existing Server 2012 R2 VM running WSUS services over https.  When installing the patch manager trial, should I install it on this WSUS server that already exists?  Or should I spin up a new 2012 R2 VM?

The reason I ask is because I did install it on a new 2012 VM but I can't publish any 3rd party apps.  It says "There is a version mismatch between the WSUS server API version 6.3.9600.16384 and the WSUS client API version: 6.3.9600.17477".  So if I would just scrap this VM and install the trial on the existing WSUS sever, would that help?

• Re: Patch Manager Trial
          frgpugs

open a ticket with solarwinds, there is a hotfix i believe that fixes this as I have seen it asked here before but I cant readily find the answer

• Re: Patch Manager Trial
            kellytice

There is a KB that talks about this, but the short answer is:  it's easier if the Patch Manager server and the WSUS server are running the same (or similar) OS.  So, if one of them is 2003/2008/2008R2 (which all use WSUS 3.x), for easiest use the other should be one of those OSs as well.  If one of them is 2012/2012R2 (which both use WSUS 6.x) for easiest use the other shoudl be one of those OSs.

There IS a way that you can make it work if one of them is 2003/2008/2008R2 and the other is 2012/2012R2.  For that, you would install a Patch Manager Automation Server Role on the WSUS server or another similar OS'd server.   You'd then create an Automation Server Routing Rule that says "when i do a task to the WSUS server, use this specific automation server instead of the default one.  That would allow for publishing even though one is running WSUS 3.x console and the other is running a WSUS 6.x console.