This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

SAM very slow to load data since upgrade to 6.2.0

Hello everyone,

We upgraded SAM to 6.2.0 several weeks ago and since then, it takes a very long time to load group data and alert data.  Once it's loaded once it seems to be faster as if caching is being done on the client side.  Is there a setting change that will speed up the initial load of data?  We have a good many groups and it's frustrating for people just using the tool or for people that have cleared their cache.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Greg

• There are four possible causes and resolutions to resolve the issue that you are seeing:

Resolution #1

If the Orion web console was not being used heavily, IIS shuts down the worker process that handles requests from Orion's website every 20 minutes (this is the default value in IIS).

Server 2008

1. Control Panel> Administrative Tools> IIS Manager

2. Expand out Local Computer

3. Select Application Pools

4. Right Click on SolarWinds Orion Application Pool and select Properties (or Advanced Settings for Server 2008)

5. In the Idle Time-out (minutes) box, type a number of minutes (you can set to 1440 for 1 full day), and then click OK.

Server 2003

6. Control Panel> Administrative Tools> IIS Manager

7. In IIS Manager, expand the local computer, expand Application Pools, right-click the Solarwinds Orion application pool, and then click Properties.

8. On the Performance tab, under Idle timeout, select the Shutdown worker processes after being idle for check box.

9. In the minutes box, type the number of idle minutes (with no processing requests) that you want to elapse before shutting down the idle worker process. The default value is 20 minutes. (You can set to 1440 for 1 full day)

10. Click OK.

Resolution #2

The problem is being caused by proxy auto-detection. Internet Explorer is set to auto-detect proxies, then HttpWebRequest will as well, only it will auto-detect every time you create a new WebRequest instead of caching anything in a helpful manner.

This KB article talks about the issue: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/968699

Method 1:  Turn off “Automatically Detect Settings” in Internet Explorer

Method 2:  Modify machine.config to disable .Net framework from using the autoproxy feature.

You should only need to make a change here:

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\CONFIG\Machine.config

<configuration>

<system.net>

<defaultProxy >

<!-- Disable Autoproxy-->

<proxy autoDetect="false"/>

</defaultProxy>

</system.net>

</configuration>

Resolution #3

On the Page you are seeing slowness, remove all Thwack.com Resources from the Page which can cause some Delays. If you have the NCM Integration, please remove any NCM Resources from the Pages that are having loading delays and this will further reduce Loading time as well.

Resolution #4. SolarWinds Knowledge Base :: The Orion Web Console is loading slowly.

• Can the app pool handle a web garden approach aLTeReGo‌ ? Aka multiple worker processes instead of 1?

• All,

I figured out what was causing the slowness.  We had 'Account Limitations' turned on so that we could limit which groups were available for certain user groups.  Once I disabled 'Account Limitations', everything started working fast again.  This seems to be a bug in my opinion.  The slowness that this setting causes makes it unusable.

Thanks for your response aLTeReGo.

Greg

• Account limitations are designed to enable people to look at X or Y thing, but they're super inflexible so I wouldn't suggest relying on those.    

• We find account limitations very flexible and use them extensively.

• I would recommend building your account limitations based on Custom Properties rather than Groups if you encounter performance issues or have performance concerns.

• Yes. By default the maximum number of worker processes in the Application Pool is zero, which means as many worker processes will be started as there are NUMA nodes.

• Umm, did I miss something? You can't have zero for maximum worker processes in IIS, so the default is 1 - unless we're not talking the same thing?

app pool.jpg

• This may be a difference between IIS 7.x and 8.x.

Maximum Worker Processes.png