3 Replies Latest reply on May 19, 2015 2:14 AM by michalB

Pop-up Nested Maps?

aaron22

I've dabbled slightly with creating nested maps in Network Atlas, but I haven't found a way to make it ideal for my situation.  At my work I monitor about 50 remote sites; each site has a single L3 switch plugged into 1-3 wireless radios, which then connect wirelessly with the other remote sites. The map I've created is a geographical map with the switches representing each site, and links displaying the wireless connections.  I didn't add the radios because most sites have 2 or 3 radios and that would just end up cluttering the whole map, but I'm not sure if a series of nested maps will work the way I'd like.

First off, is it even possible to create a nested map for a link connection?  What I'd like to do is click or hover over a link connection and see a nested map just displaying the switches and radios involved with that specific link connection.  When I create a nested map I can only create it as its own node object, but not a link which seems like it would be far more useful.

If this is possible how would I do this? 

• Re: Pop-up Nested Maps?
          michalB

Yes, this is possible. Right click the link in Network Atlas and select Properties from the menu. In the Status tab, cancel the assignments of network objects (if there are any). Then find the map you want to use as the nested map in the left pane and drag it over to the top bar that says "To add an assignment, drag an object from the tree and place it here". Click OK, save the map. The link will become clickable in the website map control. By the way, it is easier to click it near a node where the line ends than in the middle - the clickable area is bigger there.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              aaron22

Awesome, Thanks!

Would there by chance be anyway to have the nested map image show when the mouse hovers over the link?  Or pop up a new browser tab on click?

michalB

Showing the map image on hover would require some implementation in Orion maps, and it would certainly affect the performance. Opening a map in a new tab works the same way as with all hyperlinks - just click it using your middle mouse button or mouse wheel - just point at the link and press the mouse wheel. This functionality is supported by all browsers on all kinds of hyperlinks.

1 of 1 people found this helpful