This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Auto-Detect/monitoring

Hello community.

Question: Does solarwinds auto-detect new hardware via polling on machines (ex:HDD) and start to monitor those automatically? Or does it discover the new hardware via polling and then a manual intervention is needed to monitor the newly detected HW?

Thanks!

• Hi txyang‌ - Orion will auto-detect, however it will require a manual action on your part to monitor the newly discovered/added devices. HTH!

Rach

• Okay. Thanks Rach. and I'm sorry, but I don't get the "HTH" acronym. Would you enlighten me?   emoticons_happy.png

• LOL...sorry, HTH stands for Hope This Helps! :-)...I forget that my teenager has taught me "slang" many in our generation haven't used before...heeheehee emoticons_silly.png

• OH..haha..okay. But thank you for answering my question. I have another question.

Is there an alert that can be setup to let me know that new hardware has been detected?

• So our alerts are based on monitored devices, so I don't think we could set up an alert that could notify you of newly added or discovered devices, but the notification bar on the summary page of your Orion console should present you with a message stating there are new devices ready to be monitored. I took a snapshot of what it would look like; the yellow banner shows that I have 4 new nodes found and I can view them or ignore them. If I view them and decide that I don't want to ever monitor them, I can remove them so the next time Orion polls you don't see that device again.

Screen Shot 2015-05-13 at 2.09.25 PM.png

• Ah, I see. Okay. Thanks Rach!

• ‌actually I do this today.

Setup network sonar discoveries for your ip range or list of ip/hostnames with all of the options needed to import the devices.

Set a recurring schedule but then don't run the discovery.

GO into the DB manager, discoveryprofile table, then change the autoimport option to 1

The next time it runs it will import in all interfaces and volumes even if they are new.

now deleting out old orphan volumes and interfaces is something different.

• Hey bluefunelemental‌ - that's a really great work-around! I didn't know about that one, so thank you for sharing! :-)

• you flatter me but isn't that what this idea was all about?

Right now I'm working on classification of discovery profiles and how to map them to nodes within our CMDB.

Classification - this one is somewhat easy as the choices available dictate the classes - generally switches(NCM,snmpv2 vs snmpv3) / servers (wmi, agent?) or ICMP for UCS,VMware, or VIP's then the community strings or credentials enumerate these out per system or site or region etc. It looks like we'll have say 36 discovery profiles per instance which is manageable.

-edit - I forgot to add additional polling engines. Assignment to which polling engine also defines what discovery profiles you setup.

Identification - It's easy to push up this pick list of discovery profiles into our CMDB but when the wrong one is selected it's going to get messy real quick. I'm thinking of how to identify the correct discovery profile based on a custom property or better yet a combination of region, sitecode, vendor,  model, and machinetype but this is probably going to be a latter phase.

Assignment - Here's where the magic happens. When the right discovery profile is selected then I'm working on appending the IP into the discovery profile plugin configuration so it now discovers and auto-adds everything from that node on it's normal schedule. I would rather not wait for the next scheduled discovery but it seems there is no easy way to kick off an existing discovery profile through API. I could query out the plugin config xml and feed that into a temp manual discovery profile but that sounds messy.

Thoughts?