3 Replies Latest reply on May 13, 2015 9:10 AM by David Di Blasio

Patch Manager Agent - WMI Port?

stephenmbell

I am trying to set up our eval copy of patch manager.  I read through the documentation and saw all of the TCP ports that need to be opened in order for everything to work.  Within those ports, I see the WMI ports, random, high number ports.

I thought I read or heard somewhere that when using the Patch Manager Agent, it would give you the ability to set a static TCP port for the WMI communication?  I can't find this anywhere in the documentation?  Either what the port is or how to configure it?

Am I missing something in the docs?

-sb

• Re: Patch Manager Agent - WMI Port?
          frgpugs

It looks like you read the documentation so this may not be helpful but in case you missed it....

Port 135 TCP – RPC Endpoint Mapper

The Patch Manager server uses this port to establish WMI connections to remote computers. It also uses this port to connect to the Service Control Manager (SCM) when it provisions the WMI providers dynamically on the remote computer. Create a firewall exception to allow traffic from the Patch Manager server to your managed computers over this port. To do this if you are using Windows Firewall on your managed computers, enable the Inbound Rules in the Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) group.

Port 445 TCP – SMB over TCP

The Patch Manager server uses this port when it provisions the WMI providers to a remote computer. Enable File and Print Sharing on the client systems using the applicable network management tools.

Port 4092 – Console-to-Server Communication

The Patch Manager console uses this port to communicate to an independent Patch Manager application server. This is a one-way communication channel, so it only requires inbound TCP traffic on the application server. Patch Manager servers in a distributed environment also use this port in the same manner for "downstream" communication. For example, the Patch Manager Primary Application Server (PAS) uses port 4092 to communicate with remote Patch Manager servers in secondary server roles.

Port 8787 TCP – Web Console Connections

By default, users connect to the Patch Manager web console server on port 8787. You can specify an alternative port in the SolarWinds Configuration Wizard on the server running the Patch Manager web console server.

Port 17777 TCP – SolarWinds Information Service

The SolarWinds Information Service (SWIS) facilities data exchange for the Patch Manager web console, along with the web console Application Programing Interface (API). Ensure this port is not blocked on servers running the Patch Manager web console server.

Dynamic Ports 1024-65536 – DCOM or RPC

WMI technology is based on Distributed Component Object Model (DCOM)/RPC communication. DCOM/RPC allocates the ports used by the server within a dynamic port range. This range is typically between 1024 and 65536. To configure these ports using Windows Firewall on your managed computers, enable the Inbound Rules in the Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) group.