4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 27, 2015 6:55 AM by jbiggley

Where do you find the fast poll results in the database?

jbiggley

We're running the Orion 2014.2.1 (NPM 11.0.1) schema of the DB.  I have some nodes that show about 50% packet loss but when I throw WireShark on the polling engine I'm not seeing the same level of packet loss.

I'm wondering if the result of the fast poll process is stored in the DB anywhere or if all of that is handled programmatically with only the Nodes.PercentLoss value being placed in the DB?

• Re: Where do you find the fast poll results in the database?
          stephen.king

I second this question, I have nodes showing 60% packet loss, I know this is related to ICMP polling but I would like to be able to find this in the DB as well.

jbiggley

An interesting tidbit on our side.  We found that there were both node config (ie snmpd.conf did have the new polling engine listed as an authorized SNMP server) and firewall issues (wrong protocols permitted for certain ports like 161 and 22) that seemed to help resolve this issue once remediated.  The former more than the latter.

I don't know why and I can't even begin to explain how ICMP packet loss would be related to SNMPd.conf configuration but this is what we saw.

That said, I still want to find out where that fast polling data is stored in the DB

tigger2

"...I have nodes showing 60% packet loss..."

"...I don't know why and I can't even begin to explain how ICMP packet loss would be related to SNMPd.conf configuration..."

I'm curious: Are your nodes being polled via the "Most Devices: SNMP and ICMP - Recommended" setting?

If so, I've been struggling with some devices that are perfectly pingable all the time but always show between 50 and 60% packet loss all day long..  The reason (I believe so far) this is happening on my side is because the device does not respond to some default SNMP request from Orion (possibly for the core MIB-2 OID's...possibly just "sysObjectID" ). I had to add the device as ICMP, then switched it to SNMP (all sorts of warnings) just so I could add custom pollers to pull the SNMP OID's I needed.  The custom pollers have to have the device listed as "SNMP" because the node settings are where they get the SNMP credentials from.  The custom pollers work perfectly, but the node , as Orion sees it, is always going up/yellow/down all day with high packet loss.

Anyway: I'd also like to know where the fast poll data is stored, just to see what is used in the "up/down/packet loss" determination as everything I've read indicates it's all ICMP (sort of implied ICMP...with words like "it is pinged") but I feel like SNMP checks are getting thrown in there somewhere.

I'm probably going to open a ticket up for my issue if I can't find a solution on the forums as I'm running out of ideas to troubleshoot.

jbiggley

In the end it was a firewall issue, if I remember correctly.  The site was a remote site and there were at least 2 sets of firewall rules that had to be configured.  One of them was misconfigured ... but this is going back 3+ months and I'm lucky to remember what I had for breakfast 20 minutes ago

Check all the firewalls though -- I'll bet you see packets dropping at the firewall, not the device.  Wireshark on your polling engine will help too.