16 Replies Latest reply on Oct 26, 2016 2:34 PM by RichardLetts

FOE with same Host Name

devenk

I have to implement FOE with two different host name. Pl help me to give me the workaround for the same. I am running NPM at my location.

I can not put two hostname same in in one single domain.

• Re: FOE with same Host Name
          devenk

Can any one help for this

I have to implement FOE with two different host name. Pl help me to give me the workaround for the same. I am running NPM at my location.

I can not put two hostname same in in one single domain.

RichardLetts

During the FOE install process you effectively restore a backup of one server onto the second server, so you end up with two servers with the same name and credentials, and they'll both be joined to the domain. This is freaks out domain admins, and can be challenging, but it does actually work.

so:

a) join first server to a domain

b) install FOE on the first server

c) install/restore FOE on the second server

d) marvel at both servers being joined to the domain with only one being active at a time.

if you'd hoped to use both servers for something simultaneously then you are out of luck.

Spincoach

Go to primary server

Enable packet filter on your primary server in nic properties

On Secondary server

Connect locally or use out of band management

Remove secondary server from the domain.

Rename secondary to match primary hostname

Add secondary to the domain.

On secondary server enable packet filter to hide from network

On primary server disable packet filter to un-hide from network

RichardLetts

I am not sure this will work; have you tested it?

I am fairly certain that either the registration with the domain for the secondary server 'add secondary to the domain' will fail as there is already an object in the directory with that name or the registration of the primary server will be broken afterwards (as its machine account credentials will no-longer match).

[I'm willing to be proven wrong, I am just skeptical that this will work since I've had problems where one computer had private keys that were out of sync with the other and FoE did not resolve the issue itself. I had to generate a new public/private key pair and import them on both servers to resolve the issue]

aLTeReGo

It is not possible to install FoE onto servers that do not utilize identical hostnames. The hostname on the primary and secondary server must be the same regardless of deployment method (HA/LAN or DR/WAN).

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      Spincoach

It's been done.

Mark Roberts

I have a customer who cannot have due to naming conventions the same hostname across two data centres (FoE installed in WAN mode). While I wait information from SolarWinds support, has anyone installed FoE in WAN mode with two different hostnames?

aLTeReGo

FoE requires that both members share the same hostname. There is really no workaround or alternative method of deployment/configuration which would allow FoE to operate in any other manner.

shuth

We had one client insist on it. The only way we found it could be done was to completely break FOE to the point where it would've been better to not have FOE at all. The automatic failover was broken - it was a manual process where you had to manually update certain tables in the database, etc. and then manually start the services on the secondary server. Even then it was flaky and definitely not supported by SolarWinds. We presented the findings to the client but they didn't come back to us with which way they went.

RichardLetts

If you run FOE in the WAN configuration I guess you could configure the batch file that updates the DNS to do all of database updates for you automatically.

here:

Here our CMDB is the label/name/tag/inventory record for the asset; what the machine is called when it's on the network (hostname) and what it in the DNS (domainname) are considered wholly independent (mostly because we move (virtual) services and systems between three geographically diverse data centers to balance load and meet GR requirements that renaming systems makes no sense to us) so this isn't so much of an issue.

wannet

Hello solarwinds admin

any luck with FOE , we also can't have 2 same hostname on the same MS domain!

I was once told that solarwinds are working on a new foe approach along with npm12

aLTeReGo

We have released a new High Availability solution with the NPM 12.0.1 and SAM 6.4 releases which allows each member to have their own unique hostname.

High Availability - Failover Clusters | Solarwinds

RichardLetts

I have five pairs of physical boxes with the same name joined to the domain -- they can only reach the domain controllers through the FOE front door interfaces, and it just seems to work.

I'm really intrigued why people seem to think this will not work, and how it breaks, because it's been our install for many years...

shuth

If they can only reach the domain controller through the active FOE interface, it should work fine because only one will be active at a time. If both servers can reach AD over the separate management interface, then you will have Windows complaining about duplicate hosts.

The new High Availability solution works great though and with the virtual IP, you can have different hostnames.

RichardLetts

yeah, but our servers are geographically diverse, so the [current, new] HA implementation won't work for us. :-(

We have [other] geographically diverse systems with a virtual IP address working right now -- the servers run a BGP daemon that peer with their local Routers and we make use of anycast IP addressing (e.g. people get their nearest DNS server, and if it's down for maintenance then they get one of the remote ones). (We're about to do the same with DHCP services for local surviveability.)

If the HA solution provided that, then we would have the 'backup' servers simply run with a lot higher metrics and failover would be pretty quick