10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 4, 2015 9:24 AM by m0be

NPM Alert Manager Confusing

m0be

So after installing NPM v11.5 on a 2012 server the following items are no longer available in my version

Advanced Alert Manager as separate program

Basic Alert Manager as separate program

They stopped using the program and now its part of the web interface. .Problems galore! Someone please tell me where I can find updated documentation on how to set up alerts with the new interface as it is garbage. OH Importing advanced alerts from my previous advanced alerts did not work either. The windows are sized all funky with items being cut off and having a great deal of careful mouse clicks to resize certain fields. I put in a ticket for technical support but I suspect this version is why they support queue is full.

• Re: NPM Alert Manager Confusing
          Steven Klassen

Nothing should be sized oddly. Are you zoomed in maybe? Try Ctrl+0 in your browser to reset?

CourtesyIT

m0be  Have you tried to log into the Solarwinds Server itself and go to Start > Programs > Solarwinds Orion > Alerting (?) and look for the Advanced alerts and configure from there? 

mr.e

m0be

I concur w/you that the web alert does not seem as user friendly as the legacy one.  On top of that, some alerts won't migrate properly and may need to be corrected or recreated from scratch. And, as if it was not enough, there does not seem to be a lot of updated documentation on NPM v11.5.x.  By the way, I also wish that there was more detailed documentation on alerts that included several examples. Better yet, it would have been nice if the SW developers had kept the legacy for old alerts and have the new alerts on the web.  Anyway, I sympathize w/you.

CourtesyIT

m0be as SW Developers move away from individual .exe files to the Web console some functionality will need to be recreated. I know there may be some work involved but it appears to be the nature of the beast.  Look at this way, at least you can get in there and do some house cleaning.  I find when I do any type of migration there is about 20% of junk laying around and not useful.

Documentation with some features does tend to be lacking.  That is where the user community can get in there and develop some.  I tend to focus around NCM product and try to document with examples as much as I can.  Its a volunteer effort, but the better documents I produce, the more people download/view, the more Thwack Points I earn.  In the last 12 months I have earned around 80k in thwack points.  Some from these points, documents, replies to messages, actively trying to support the products to make my environment better. 

m0be

I decided to rebuild the alerts. I want to warn you all about the latest update for SW. IT WILL ENABLE alerts that you have previously disabled. I think the developers really created a mess with the new alerting interface and with the latest update it was possibly the worst 2 days of going back and DISABLING tons of alerts. I decided to put off updates for a while based of this. I dont know how on earth this got past QC, but several hundred emails an hour was a bit overwhelming.

m0be

thanks Silverback I will look at this video, kinda kicks rocks having to start all over again but oh well.