7 Replies Latest reply on May 15, 2015 8:43 AM by typhoon87

Action Rule ran mulitple times

bknight

With the new version (12.3) we can now run action rules to generate tickets and pass custom fields over to these new tickets.  I have since created a New Employee process that will generate specific tickets based on answers customers give for their new hire.  I have the rule set to look for a specific request type (new employee - New Hire) and equipment type (laptop or desktop).  It is set to run at ticket creation.  I recently had a instance where a new employee request came in and the New Employee process ran twice. I've looked around and I can't seem to figure out how that happened.  I can see in the History of the parent ticket  the process running generating the necessary tickets, then running again generating the same tickets.  Any thoughts as to why that happened?  Do I have something setup incorrectly in the criteria or Action Rule Info.  If you look at the pick, There are two rules that run separate. The New Employee Setup - Laptop and New Employee ticket.  Those processes do different things.  I could probably merge them as all the New Employee Ticket does is assigns the new employee ticket. 

• Re: Action Rule ran mulitple times
          typhoon87

What is your rule triggering and criteria evaluation? You may have a reevaluation or a criteria evaluation set to every time a ticket is updated. These options existed previously and are NOT new in 12.3.

Also just for reference there is a separate subgroup for talking about the RC builds Web Help Desk Release Candidate

bknight

The rule triggering is set to evaluate criteria on all ticket updates and the second setting "When criteria evaluation results in a match, apply action" is set to Only at Ticket Creation.  WHD 2.PNG

whd 3.PNG

whd 4.PNG

I just had another request come in that did not double generate the action rule.  Do I have something in here that you think could double run this action rule?

typhoon87

I see you have cascading turned on does this affect any other action rules with lower priority numbers that could make part of the process kick off again?
                  ??

bknight

I don't think so.  I originally had the action step that assigned the ticket as a higher priority action rule. I moved it into the same action rule to eliminate that.  I'd thought though that since the rule was only at ticket creation, not sure why it would kick off twice.  The ticket can only be created once.  Also, I've had several ones that have come in before and after this one that did not double generate the action rule.   I was going to do some testing to see if I could replicate the problem somehow. 

bknight

A similar issue occurred again.  This time I have an error message on the client side.  This occurred when the person was trying to save the ticket.  It did not create the ticket and run the rule multiple times, but it did create several emails with "Null" as the ticket number.  See error below WHD 5.PNG

In this circumstance the ticket was never created.  I've had several instances where the process ran fine.  Not sure exactly what happened here.

bknight

After remoting into the person's computer, I could not replicate the problem.  What we have noticed is it takes considerably longer now for the ticket to initially save.  Not a show stopper, but it is noticeable.  I'm wondering if the action rule is running before the ticket is actually created and saved.  On the last person she was creating a new employee ticket for, the email notifications came out with a "Null" ticket number.  The parent ticket had been created as well as the child tickets. All those were created with ticket numbers.  Again, not sure what happened but it could be that some of the internal notifications are running before the ticket has been saved.  Just my two cents worth.