This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

showing Universal Device Poller temperature with an down / warning icon or even red/ yellow color

I have an email alert and a dashboard that displays the results of a UDP-derived temperature.  Due to  an email issue and personnel not noticing/ reacting to what was being displayed on my summary page, I'm being asked to make my display of results more visible (literally).  I've seen some queries that leverage node status icons and interface status icons for status of nodes/ interfaces, but nothing yet that addresses my use case:

is there a way to take the Up.gif, Down.gif, Warning.gif (etc) and place those on a summary view when a temperature is at a certain threshold?

I've thought about an event viewer approach (since if I'm not mistaken), events all seem to inherit some color.  I've thought about the Transform option to parse (which I understand could strip off a plus or minus from a temperature).  Could a parse or some flavor of UDP transform turn an integer range into an icon?  For example, below 90 degrees F would be warning/ yellow, and above 90 degrees F would be down/ red.

Anyone done something like this?  Know how it could be done?  Possible via SWQL somehow?

• Do you have Server and Application Monitor? If so, you could create an application with an SNMP Monitor component, and set the thresholds appropriately for that component. You could then add a view of that application to your desktop, and it will show appropriately with a warning or critical status icon.

• SWQL supports the "CASE" expression from SQL. Like this: CASE (Transact-SQL). You can use that to compare UnDP values to your thresholds and select an image that way.

• Thanks danner, the CASE option I can do.  I have it some of my SQL and SWQL queries.  I even have the node status and interface status icons in several SQL and SWQL queries.  I guess the part that is trickiest for me is tying to the status icons.

I also did as clubjuggle suggested and took a SWQL query I found and further limited by the Application ID for my newly-created temperature monitor.  I have a possible solution there.  My SWQL query shows the SAM application name and the SAM component name (things one might hide or give a friendly name if done via Report Writer).  But it does have the color icon, so it might attract attention that it would not have without color.

While typing this I saw clubjuggle's suggestion about decimal-shift issue and I was able to convert.  Now I have fourteen decimal places after my zero, so I should probably truncate.  Progress though.  (What was the vendor thinking making their temperature MIB display 98.6 as 986???)

• You can address the decimal-shift issue in the Application Monitor component by checking "Yes, convert returned value", selecting "Custom conversion" and entering "${Statistic}/10" (no quotes) for the conversion formula.

If you wish to correct the decimal shift and convert to celsius, enter "((${Statistic}/10)-32) * 5/9" (again, no quotes).