This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

IPAM scope history is missing since 4.3 upgrade

Has any other IPAM customer missed the fact that in version 4.3 the status of any IP address within a DHCP scope is not logged?

SW tech support confirmed that although the entire subnet is still pinged, the status is not logged.  

Since we upgraded to 4.3 in November 2014 we've had several instances when we wanted to know when a certain devices was reachable or not. Sadly, because they were within a DHCP scope, no record was made. 

The statuses of IP addresses that are not part of a DHCP scope are still logged.

Tech support confirmed that it was a bug but noted that no other customer has noticed or missed this feature that worked fine prior to version 4.3

I opened a ticket with tech support in January.  As of end of April no fix has been offered.

• Hi Edmendel,

The described scenario works fine - i.e. Status of IPs defined within the DHCP scope gets logged in IPAM 4.3.

Please share us the support ticket to act on it ASAP.

Thanks,

Sathya.T

• So you can pick an IP address in a range that is within a DCHP Scope and then click on "IP Address History" and see current data?

I can pick any address in a scope and set it to show the history for "1 year" and all history stops on 11/16/2014 which is the day that I upgraded to 4.3

The case is 735418

Tech support said: "Our development team confirmed that the DHCP scope issue is a bug which should be fixed on future release of IPAM." 

I'm somewhat amazed that we are the only customer to note this.     It also a bit exasperating (and they confirmed) that the entire WAN is getting pinged but the results of DHCP scopes are not getting logged...  A lot of unnecessary WAN traffic.

• Looking at the case history, Development confirmed only the issue on vendor change events as a bug and not the DHCP scope issue.

If you need any assistance further, please update the ticket to have a remote session with DEV.

Sathya. T

• I had at least one remote session on this already.  Maybe it wasn't logged but tech support confirmed via email that IPAM 4.3 wasn't logging status changes on our installation for any addresses within DHCP scopes. 

I'm NOT talking about a DHCP lease expiring and then the status going to "Available"....I'm talking about a given IP address being still actively leased by the DHCP server but the IP address being unpingable.

Case in point:   One Monday morning a department of users complained that they couldn't print. When we investigated we found that the printer had no patch cord.  Someone had apparently removed it some time between Friday afternoon and Monday morning.  Since the printer has a dynamic address, IPAM 4.3 has no record of when it was last pingable (even though IPAM is apparently dutifully pinging all the subnets.)

This worked prior to 4.3.  It took a lot of back and forth with tech support to determine whether this was a new feature or a bug.    (and now it sounds like the back and forth is continuing.....)

• Are you still saying that there is no problem now that I've tried to clarify what the issue is?   Do you see what I'm seeing in your installation?  Do any other IPAM users understand what the issue is?  Do you see the problem or not?  I'd be interested in exchanging some screenshots offline.

• EdMaendel,

No other IPAM user reported this problem, Please share those screenshots which i hope will help us .

• Here is a screen capture.

1. click on any IP address in any of our DHCP scopes  (is this distinction clear?)

2. click on View Details

3. In IP Address History, click on "Show All"

4. change history range to "Last Year" (because nothing is to be seen in "Last Month" or Last Week"

5. Observe that all history stops on 11/16/2014 which is the day I upgraded to 4.3

Meanwhile IPAM continue to ICMP sweep all networks but doesn't record the results.

Please post a screen shot of the history of one of your scopes.

Thanks

ShowAll.jpg

IPAMDHCPScope.jpg

• Can someone please post some screenshots of a working system?

I'm also interested in hearing more about the state of IPAM development.  In addition to this bug (yes I'm calling it a bug until proved otherwise) there is the confirmed bug with vendor ID's logging as changing with every single scan even if they haven't changed.

Now we're being nagged that our support is coming due. Fine but is IPAM being actively developed right now?

• Hi edmaendel‌,

Yes, we are actively working on IPAM -- here is the "What We Are Working On" post -- What are we working on IPAM after v4.3 (Updated on March 26, 2015).

Please note that the post only lists features -- however, as I told you in our private conversation -- the issue you describe has been tracked and we plan to fix it in the next release.

Regards,

Jiri