This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

HELP CREATING CUSTOM VIEW REQUIRED PLEASE

FormerMember
FormerMember

Can someone please help me to create a Custom View that works?

I'm running NPM 11.5 on a Virtual Machine.

I've read a few threads on the forums but none work and frankly I'm Massively frustrated!!!! Whatever happened to intuitive software?

• What would you like on your view? I am building custom views right now for a number of things and am also on 11.5, maybe we can iron out the wrinkles together.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to jm_sysadmin

Hi jm.

Any help would be REALLY appreciated.

I have someone on my back to create a simple 4 interface view for a new team. Trivial but I can’t do it.

We have two Juniper SRX 5800 firewalls which are already being monitored nicely by Solar Winds. I have to create a view which only shows two interfaces from each device. The interfaces are the same on both devices, reth1.4005 and reth1.4006 which are already being monitored nicely.

I need to show Interface Min/Max/Average for each interface, 4 in all.

I’ve created a new View called “GTP Monitoring”.

I’ve tried adding “Custom HTML” as a Resource and then the URL of the 4 interfaces, as suggested by one thread on this website. But then the thread suggested that would only work up to NPM 10.4, and maybe not on a VM. The result was it only showed 4 of the “URL image fail” icons in the view.

I’ve tried adding “Min/Max/Average bits per second” and then “View Limiting” and selecting the 4 interfaces but it only showed the first two interfaces???

I felt like I was close but no amount of “tinkering” has gotten me anywhere. I expect you’ll tell me I’m going about it completely the wrong way.

Any pointers appreciated.

Best regards,

Andy.

• I was able to get this: Re: Detailed interface information of all interfaces in one group? To work, following the second to last post where it adds the URL of the min/max chart into an iframe. I am Tinkering with the custom object now since that seems promising.

• Looks like the custom resource is a good fit, if you want four charts, just add four of them, if you want 4 lines on one chart it does that too.

Just add the Custom Object Resource to you page, and then edit from the preview.
    Chart2.PNG

• FormerMember

HOORAY!!! I now have four Interface monitors showing!

The key misunderstanding (or lack of clarity on the website earlier), was that I needed to click on the Red Highlighted Title in the Top Left Hand Corner of the chart, not the Edit in the Top Right Hand corner.

I now have a strange title after my View Name for some reason. It’s a device and interface that bear no relation to the devices and/or interfaces I’m monitoring. I haven’t put it in. Very odd.

Any ideas?

Many thanks so far!!!!!

• FormerMember

Hi,

As per my previous email I’ve attached the screenshot (partial) that I’m generating.

I’ve no idea where the text after the “GTP Monitoring – “ is coming from. “DSCLRF01.xxx.xxxxxxxx – GigabitEthernet1/3  +++ INTERLINK DSCLRF01 --- SDNYCL001 (Gi6/48) +++”

Any ideas please?

Apart from this it’s perfect.

Thanks,

Andy.

• If this is an interface summary page, it may be grabbing the first available item as its title. Try the custom object on a normal summary page (you can still grab the interface data) and see if that helps. If not, what type of summary page are you using?

• FormerMember

Aha! It gets better! I’d initially selected “Interface Details” for Type of View. After deleting the whole View (because you can’t edit the Type of View field – that’s another irritation for another day…) and recreating the whole thing with “Summary” Type of View and it looks perfect!! Relaxed

Thank you! The View now is exactly as I want it. I’ve learnt a lot.

• Don't forget to mark jm_sysadmin response as the correct answer. Does a world of good for people who might be in the same boat, and jm benefits from a couple extra thwack points. =)

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to dhanson

Thanks for the reminder, appreciated.