15 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2015 1:23 PM by jpashton

Abandoning Alert Central

damienball

So this discussion has come up at my office. Alert Central is cool. It's been helpful, but the lack of fixes to open issues, the lack of response to customer queries, the lack of movement to improve this product, has led me to considering strongly that we abandon this application and design something different for our centralized alerts. Has anyone else had this discussion? I really like the idea of Alert Central. I really think it should be integrated into NPM proper, but I can't rely on it for production work if it isn't going to be maintained. The "What we're working on" for Alert Central is very old and doesn't seem to have any movement. Thoughts from the community?

• Re: Abandoning Alert Central
          pfranks

No $$$ = Customer Support will not touch it + No work being done on 'product'.

Open source it and let a community of people work on it. 

damienball

That's the interesting part right? In some capacity they used to work on it a bit, now it's just gone completely dark without any information. Seems strange and is quite a bit disheartening. Are they building the functionality into NPM 12? Maybe. Are they abandoning it because they purchased a product that does it better? Maybe. I'd just like them to say so so the national nightmare is over and we all can move on with our lives.

ewoknophobia

I wager that since they picked up pingdom that their beepmanager application is a further developed Alert Central app that can replace it.

damienball

Thanks for that info. I hadn't looked into that aquisition. If that's the case, the smart money would be on Alert Central being superceded by beepmanager as their goto application and beepmanager will make the slow transition into being an Orion integrated module for advanced alerting. I WISH SOMEONE FROM SOLARWINDS WOULD JUST COME OUT AND TALK ABOUT THIS. *frustrated*

kjette

I was also not aware of the Beepmanager acquisition.  Kind of a slap in the face to those of us that were early adopters of AC and spent time helping them develop it.  I think its entirely possible that after they started down the AC road found it was easier to buy someone instead of developing it from scratch.  The whole thing is just very strange.  To just walk away from a product after all the work and resources that were expended not only by them but more importantly us is not right.  Most of us are probably users of other SW paid products (Orion and Web Help Desk for me) so the way this has been handled was not good IMO.  I guess we'll never know since they no longer respond to this forum.

ewoknophobia

It looks like they just purchased another product that has a developed alert management system (Librato).  Although it seems like a SAS solution...
                            Create Intelligent Custom Alerts | Librato 

designerfx

I'm able to basically replace it outright via NMP + rest API + slack, without too much effort.

I was hoping for this tool, but it has indeed basically fallen by the wayside.    

stuartwhyte

Care to share your method?

designerfx

Alert trigger -> pass node ID to powershell script as arg -> powershell grabs info via solarwinds REST API -> powershell pushes info via REST API to slack.

This way text messaging is not a requirement, as well. It works, but takes some setup unique to what you're looking for. It's slightly complicated in you have to know your powershell quite well (or know someone who does), but basically this can work for any alert category especially given how easy it is to call information via the REST API - which basically lets you pass raw queries.

Take a look at SWIS SDK for more details on this, I've talked to bluefunelemental about trying to do this as well. I think many of us are desiring to do the same.

None of this would be necessary or even remotely as complicated if Orion supported HTTPS posting, which it doesn't.

kjette

I have been thinking about this lately myself because right now I'm only using it for after hours desktop support paging.  I would love to centralize all of our alerting but I just can't given the current support situation.  I understand this is a free product but they went great guns on it in the beginning with 1 on 1 user discussions, AC Office hours chat and their participation on this forum but all of that has clearly dried up.  Its almost as if they had an internal meeting and decided its not going where they hoped and now are just letting it die on the vine to cut their loses.  Its disappointing but like a lot of others I can't rely on it in production with no development or bug fixes.  Thats not how I get sleep at night.

ewoknophobia

We are abandoning this app as well. The biggest sticking point was the inability for us to limit groups to view only their alerts.  We constantly have users closing notifications that don't belong to their team. Oh.. and midnight on Saturday reports are sub-optimal as well.

terrancekennedy

Right now I look really bad as being a really big advocate for this product and getting everyone on board to using the tool. Also saying there's a fix in the works is getting old to my colleges, as I can't really provide any updates on the subject. So as of now if I recommend a new product from SolarWinds, the team second guesses and starts a giant Q/A about it.

I really wish SolarWinds would let us know what's going on. This hole going black thing is not like them.

Thanks,

-Terrance

kjette

I was very impressed in the beginning and was on that boat with you so don't feel bad about recommending it.  We have other SW products that we are very happy with which makes the radio silence with AC so perplexing.  Suffice it to say it won't come near my production environment now.

jpashton

I'm in something of a similar boat.  I started about a year ago where I'm currently working and had the entire SolarWinds platform dumped on me since I was an intern at the time and they needed to give me busy work.  AC was included in all of what I had dumped on me.  I took it from a base install with no configuration, built up filters, added groups, and made it something fairly reliable.  Then just sat back as it slowly died and has quit working altogether.  It still runs and processes alerts and email, but doesn't pass email out or have a working web UI without rebooting once a day.  I shut down our instance this morning with no intent on ever turning it back on.  Sad to see all my effort just vanish like that

John Handberg

Well, it looks like I have a summer project to scratch off the list.  I waited a year until our virtual environment was beefed up enough to support more VMs and disk space, my AC project has had lower priority until this summer.  Now I will hold of on this.